Aug 23, 2012, 2:37 PM EST
For now Doug Fister has avoided the disabled list, but the Tigers right-hander will miss his scheduled Saturday start against the Angels with a strained groin.
Drew Smyly, the rookie who’s been on the disabled list himself since early July, will come off the shelf to start in Fister’s place.
Fister apparently injured his groin while warming up for his Sunday start versus the Orioles, but decided to pitch through the discomfort and ended up allowing seven runs while failing to make it out of the fourth inning.
Fister also spent time on the DL with a strained side muscle in June, but in between injuries he’s been solid with a 3.67 ERA and 102/26 K/BB ratio in 118 innings. Toss in the great work Fister did down the stretch for the Tigers last year and he’s 15-9 with a 2.97 ERA in 30 starts for Detroit.
Also, I think we can all agree that I deserve some sort of prize for not making a Fister/groin joke. Right? Or does this count as one? I guess I need a ruling.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 16
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4