Aug 23, 2012, 2:37 PM EST
For now Doug Fister has avoided the disabled list, but the Tigers right-hander will miss his scheduled Saturday start against the Angels with a strained groin.
Drew Smyly, the rookie who’s been on the disabled list himself since early July, will come off the shelf to start in Fister’s place.
Fister apparently injured his groin while warming up for his Sunday start versus the Orioles, but decided to pitch through the discomfort and ended up allowing seven runs while failing to make it out of the fourth inning.
Fister also spent time on the DL with a strained side muscle in June, but in between injuries he’s been solid with a 3.67 ERA and 102/26 K/BB ratio in 118 innings. Toss in the great work Fister did down the stretch for the Tigers last year and he’s 15-9 with a 2.97 ERA in 30 starts for Detroit.
Also, I think we can all agree that I deserve some sort of prize for not making a Fister/groin joke. Right? Or does this count as one? I guess I need a ruling.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)