Aug 23, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
For now Doug Fister has avoided the disabled list, but the Tigers right-hander will miss his scheduled Saturday start against the Angels with a strained groin.
Drew Smyly, the rookie who’s been on the disabled list himself since early July, will come off the shelf to start in Fister’s place.
Fister apparently injured his groin while warming up for his Sunday start versus the Orioles, but decided to pitch through the discomfort and ended up allowing seven runs while failing to make it out of the fourth inning.
Fister also spent time on the DL with a strained side muscle in June, but in between injuries he’s been solid with a 3.67 ERA and 102/26 K/BB ratio in 118 innings. Toss in the great work Fister did down the stretch for the Tigers last year and he’s 15-9 with a 2.97 ERA in 30 starts for Detroit.
Also, I think we can all agree that I deserve some sort of prize for not making a Fister/groin joke. Right? Or does this count as one? I guess I need a ruling.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 0
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 84
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)