Aug 23, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
For now Doug Fister has avoided the disabled list, but the Tigers right-hander will miss his scheduled Saturday start against the Angels with a strained groin.
Drew Smyly, the rookie who’s been on the disabled list himself since early July, will come off the shelf to start in Fister’s place.
Fister apparently injured his groin while warming up for his Sunday start versus the Orioles, but decided to pitch through the discomfort and ended up allowing seven runs while failing to make it out of the fourth inning.
Fister also spent time on the DL with a strained side muscle in June, but in between injuries he’s been solid with a 3.67 ERA and 102/26 K/BB ratio in 118 innings. Toss in the great work Fister did down the stretch for the Tigers last year and he’s 15-9 with a 2.97 ERA in 30 starts for Detroit.
Also, I think we can all agree that I deserve some sort of prize for not making a Fister/groin joke. Right? Or does this count as one? I guess I need a ruling.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming