Aug 23, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
For now Doug Fister has avoided the disabled list, but the Tigers right-hander will miss his scheduled Saturday start against the Angels with a strained groin.
Drew Smyly, the rookie who’s been on the disabled list himself since early July, will come off the shelf to start in Fister’s place.
Fister apparently injured his groin while warming up for his Sunday start versus the Orioles, but decided to pitch through the discomfort and ended up allowing seven runs while failing to make it out of the fourth inning.
Fister also spent time on the DL with a strained side muscle in June, but in between injuries he’s been solid with a 3.67 ERA and 102/26 K/BB ratio in 118 innings. Toss in the great work Fister did down the stretch for the Tigers last year and he’s 15-9 with a 2.97 ERA in 30 starts for Detroit.
Also, I think we can all agree that I deserve some sort of prize for not making a Fister/groin joke. Right? Or does this count as one? I guess I need a ruling.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)