Ivan Nova is placed on the disabled list

Aug 23, 2012, 5:32 PM EST

Ivan Nova AP

Yesterday I prematurely wrote that the Yankees had placed Ivan Nova on the DL with some sort of arm or shoulder trouble. Turns out he was only reported to be skipping a start.  This time, however, he really is going on the DL. He had an MRI and it showed inflammation in his right rotator cuff.

As I’m struggling to think of a pitcher who comes right back after having rotator cuff issues, it seems pretty unlikely that he’d be back before the season is over. In the meantime, David Phelps will get his slot.

1. surefooted1 - Aug 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Hmm…I’d bet most starters would show inflammation in their should less than 48 hours after a start at this point in the season.

This was a good way to shut him down for the year and not have him demoted.

• Jeremy T - Aug 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM

My thinking exactly. Phelps has been significantly more effective, so I can’t say I have a huge problem with this. A rotation of CC, Kuroda, Hughes, Phelps, and Garcia is tolerable, as long as the bats do what they’re supposed to.

• cackalackyank - Aug 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

“as long as the bats do what they’re supposed to.”- Hit lots and lots and lots of solo home runs and strike out when there are RISP, that what there supposed to do, isn’t it?

• cackalackyank - Aug 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM

yes I know english *they’re

• Jeremy T - Aug 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I really don’t think the RISPfail is all that sustainable, but sure if they’re hitting 3 or 4 home runs per game, that would certainly be one way to win. Not as much fun to watch usually, but it gets the job done.

2. number42is1 - Aug 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

is this what Pinedas got?

• jolink653 - Aug 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM

No he has loss of dignity and a suspended driver’s license

3. bozosforall - Aug 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Four of their top five pitchers out during the season, not to mention losing the greatest closer in history this season,yet the Yankees are still in first place in their division. Haters can continue to kiss Yankee ass.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2830)
  2. W. Myers (2589)
  3. D. Ross (2301)
  4. C. McGehee (2217)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2023)
  1. J. Shields (1932)