Aug 23, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Wow, this is kinda crazy:
Because the Seattle Times and the (Tacoma) News Tribune are not sending their beat reporters to cover the team on the road the remainder of the season, the only coverage of Mariners Baseball by the regular reporters will be provided by Greg Johns, the fine beat reporter for Mariners.com.
I’m usually one of the last people who stands up to lament the passing of old media models, but this is kinda shocking to me. In large part because Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times is one of the best beat guys out there. He produces a lot of content for the Times. I’m sure he still will doing the home-only beat, but it’s going to be really weird having only one dude, really, covering the team on-location.
Is this going to be the norm going forward, or is it just a blip for the last month of the season? Either way, it seems like there has to be a happy medium between having 12 dudes cover a team like the Yankees and 1.5 dudes covering the Mariners.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (100)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)