Aug 23, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Wow, this is kinda crazy:
Because the Seattle Times and the (Tacoma) News Tribune are not sending their beat reporters to cover the team on the road the remainder of the season, the only coverage of Mariners Baseball by the regular reporters will be provided by Greg Johns, the fine beat reporter for Mariners.com.
I’m usually one of the last people who stands up to lament the passing of old media models, but this is kinda shocking to me. In large part because Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times is one of the best beat guys out there. He produces a lot of content for the Times. I’m sure he still will doing the home-only beat, but it’s going to be really weird having only one dude, really, covering the team on-location.
Is this going to be the norm going forward, or is it just a blip for the last month of the season? Either way, it seems like there has to be a happy medium between having 12 dudes cover a team like the Yankees and 1.5 dudes covering the Mariners.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)