Aug 23, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Wow, this is kinda crazy:
Because the Seattle Times and the (Tacoma) News Tribune are not sending their beat reporters to cover the team on the road the remainder of the season, the only coverage of Mariners Baseball by the regular reporters will be provided by Greg Johns, the fine beat reporter for Mariners.com.
I’m usually one of the last people who stands up to lament the passing of old media models, but this is kinda shocking to me. In large part because Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times is one of the best beat guys out there. He produces a lot of content for the Times. I’m sure he still will doing the home-only beat, but it’s going to be really weird having only one dude, really, covering the team on-location.
Is this going to be the norm going forward, or is it just a blip for the last month of the season? Either way, it seems like there has to be a happy medium between having 12 dudes cover a team like the Yankees and 1.5 dudes covering the Mariners.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)