Aug 23, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Wow, this is kinda crazy:
Because the Seattle Times and the (Tacoma) News Tribune are not sending their beat reporters to cover the team on the road the remainder of the season, the only coverage of Mariners Baseball by the regular reporters will be provided by Greg Johns, the fine beat reporter for Mariners.com.
I’m usually one of the last people who stands up to lament the passing of old media models, but this is kinda shocking to me. In large part because Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times is one of the best beat guys out there. He produces a lot of content for the Times. I’m sure he still will doing the home-only beat, but it’s going to be really weird having only one dude, really, covering the team on-location.
Is this going to be the norm going forward, or is it just a blip for the last month of the season? Either way, it seems like there has to be a happy medium between having 12 dudes cover a team like the Yankees and 1.5 dudes covering the Mariners.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)