No newspaper will cover the Mariners on the road for the remainder of the season

Aug 23, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

mariners logo

Wow, this is kinda crazy:

Because the Seattle Times and the (Tacoma) News Tribune are not sending their beat reporters to cover the team on the road the remainder of the season, the only coverage of Mariners Baseball by the regular reporters will be provided by Greg Johns, the fine beat reporter for Mariners.com.

I’m usually one of the last people who stands up to lament the passing of old media models, but this is kinda shocking to me. In large part because Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times is one of the best beat guys out there. He produces a lot of content for the Times. I’m sure he still will doing the home-only beat, but it’s going to be really weird having only one dude, really, covering the team on-location.

Is this going to be the norm going forward, or is it just a blip for the last month of the season? Either way, it seems like there has to be a happy medium between having 12 dudes cover a team like the Yankees and 1.5 dudes covering the Mariners.

1. IdahoMariner - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I won’t miss Geoff’s product (Larry Stone is better and not an ass), but it’s crazy they don’t send someone.

The mariners are on an 8 game win streak, 11 1/2 games out… If they pull a ’95 mariners/recent Colorado Rockies stunt and keep this up, I would guess they change their plans for ignoring the road games.

We could only be so lucky.

2. mybrunoblog - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I agree with Calcaterra. I’m not nostalgic for the old school media stuff but this is really big news. A medium market big league team has NO local press covering the team on the road!
    I enjoy the bloggers and television baseball talking heads but the newspaper guys are the true nerve system of baseball reporting.

• petertfl - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM

It’d be a big deal for a different team. As a mariners fan these 2 papers bring nothing to the table. Baker is an @ssclown and Larue just isn’t good. And I really hope the Baker is one of the best line was sarcasm because if you believe that I don’t even know what to say.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I think Craig is just being nice after roundly mocking Geoff (deservedly so) a couple of years ago.
        Because yes, Geoff is an asshat.

• natslady - Aug 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I don’t know the reporters in question, but something is lost without reporters traveling with the team and having to report on a deadline, every game.

3. michaelcee - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM

???

“Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times is one of the best beat guys out there”??

Geoff Baker, of “White Jays Scandal” fame?

Geoff Baker, of “Ichiro is a Clubhouse Cancer” fame?

Is this the same Craig Calcaterra who created something called “the Geoff Baker Rigidity Award”?

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Just because I disagree with the guy sometimes and just because he’s had some high-profile misfires does not mean he’s not good at his job.

Baker puts out a ton of content, most of it thoughtful, and for the most part adds some deeper analysis to his stuff than most beat guys do. I think on balance he does a fine job.

• natslady - Aug 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Back atcha, fella. I may disagree plenty with Craig, but disagreement is not disrespect.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM

You know what I find funny from that post? Rick Reilly. Asserting that because Beltre wasn’t mashing the ball everywhere from 05-09 like he did in 04, he HAD TO HAVE BEEN USING STERIODS.

4. willclarkgameface - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Strange, but whatever. This team isn’t worth watching unless King Felix is on the bump so I’m down.

5. mkd - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

How much information is gleaned by having reporters on site? The signal-to-noise ratio in any given player/manager interview is heavily weighted toward noise. Basic personnel changes/callups/send-downs/injuries are now announced directly by the team. What exactly does a beat reporter do anymore? Right now my answer would have to be: stir up gossip.

I watch the games and read Lookout Landing/USS Mariner. Does a diehard Seattle fan really need more than that? Not really.

Odd that this is coming in the wake of Felix’s perfect game and in the midst of a pretty sweet winning streak but whatever.

6. mckcal - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM

three thoughts

1. there will still be plenty of mariners coverage

2. i bet the resources these papers sink into free advertising for the seattle area’s sports teams still far outweigh those put into covering the state house and investigative reporting combined.

3. i almost never read the local paper coverage of my favorite teams and never feel out of the loop.

7. natslady - Aug 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

We may have challenges with our Metro, but we are very lucky with our beat reporters! We have full-time coverage from the Washington Post and the Washington Times/CSN plus many excellent bloggers. The Times eliminated all sports coverage a couple of years ago, but reinstated it, thank goodness. Shout out to all the writers who travel and report, day in day out.

8. brianbosworthisstonecold - Aug 24, 2012 at 5:49 AM

As a Giants fan I’m stuck with the ROOT (should stand for CRAP), network. Seattle has been voted the saddest sports town in America so this does not surprise me at all.

9. brianbosworthisstonecold - Aug 24, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Oh, thank the Baseball Gods for mlbtv.com!

10. brucewaynewins - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:38 PM

This team has a small chance to make the playoffs and they want to offer less coverage? That’s insane. If they were out of the race and not the hottest team in AL since the all star break I’d totally understand. This is the best time of year to be hot and for that reason it’s worth keeping an eye on… Fools

Ace-killer Giants do it again