Ousted Red Sox pitching coach Bob McClure gets fingered as possible leak

Aug 23, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT

Bob McClure Getty Images

Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan used to cover the Royals. Former Red Sox pitching coach Bob McClure used to work for the Royals.

That seems to be the entire basis for pointing to McClure as the leak for Passan’s explosive story last week. Well, that and the fact that McClure was fired by the Red Sox on Monday.

Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino was asked if he thought McClure was a key source in Passan’s report on the Dennis & Callahan radio show Thursday:

“There’s no way of knowing whether Bob McClure or whoever . . . of course, Bob McClure was not in that meeting,” Lucchino said. “I’m well aware of the overlap in Kansas City. That’s not a surprise to me. That was called to my attention. But, again there’s no way of knowing so I’m not going to make any baseless accusations.”

WEEI has more from the interview here.

1. kjm18 - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

This blog is in serious need of a good editor. EVERY story I read has an error in it. Here, “acquisitions,” is the mistake. I really doubt he said that.

• dondada10 - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM

In fairness the majority of the errors are immediately fixed.

Check ProBasketballTalk out. It seems Kurt Helin types most of his posts from his iPhone…with his feet.

• kjm18 - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

In all fairness, those errors should be fixed BEFORE the story goes up, not after.

• dondada10 - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

You’re right. Proofread. My point was, simply, that PBT is a piece of shit.

• lazlosother - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

The original article quoted Luchinno as saying “acquisitions”. Mathew was correct. If you require the services of an editor before reading posts, you should probably avoid blogs.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Yeah. I don’t read the NBC basketball blog as often, but it does seem as if most posts are not particularly well-written. I understand we’re not shooting for Pulitzers around here, but I’ve always maintained that it’s hard to take even the best points seriously when they’re poorly written.

• willclarkgameface - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I just read that and asked myself if that was what he really said. Does Kelly Bundy edit this shit?

• biasedhomer - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Blogs don’t need editors.

• Matthew Pouliot - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Yeah, my bad. I took the quote directly from the WEEI report and didn’t notice the error.

• bigleagues - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM

That WEEI.com needs a copy Editor prior to punishing - oooops, I meant - publishing is hardly a revolution - errr, uh, I mean - revelation. But lads and lassies, this here is a blog – and we take a somewhat more causal - dang-it, make that - casual approach!

• pinkfloydprism - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Editor not needed…just some remedial training.

2. thomas2727 - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Didn’t McClure have arguably the best pickoff move in the league when he played?

Looks like he just found out what it feels like to be the one picked off.

3. mybrunoblog - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Poor bastard. He got fingered and still had a leak.

• dondada10 - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Word is that’s how he got the leak in the first place.

• mjames1229 - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Happens to my wife all the time :o)

4. keithbangedyermom - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

This entire story is getting very boring very quickly.

5. natslady - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Right on time. Four hours and another “The Red-Sox-Are-Dysfunctional-Let-Us-Count-The-Ways” post. Even TV soap operas have only one episode per day…

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM

You weren’t saying when the “Harper-thon” was going on ;-)

• natslady - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Don’t remember if I commented on the “Harper-thon” but I’ll comment now–it was excessive. :) Harper’s in a slump now, so apparently he’s not interesting any more, even though he broke another bat a few days ago. There’s a promo in this city where they plant a tree for every broken bat but I don’t think they mean that kind.

6. hushbrother - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM

It was Lemmiwinks!

• hittfamily - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Lemmiwinks is a Rockies fan.

7. tfbuckfutter - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I don’t believe a man with a mustache as fine as that would do anything immoral.

Unless he was a mechanic. Of course.

8. randygnyc - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM

McClure could be the leak. It’s not impossible. I think the Sox should be instead focused on remedying the organization dysfunction rather than this witch hunt.

9. proudlycanadian - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

There have been several sources of leaks from the Red Sox that began long before McClure was signed last December. I always wondered if Lucchino was a major leaker.

10. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I was in junior high the last time it was such a big deal for somebody to get fingered.

11. dmarzo1 - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM

mike aviles, perhaps?

12. dmarzo1 - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM

13. dmarzo1 - Aug 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Oh one other thing on the Red Sox connection….guess who was the first to report that the Red Sox were interviewing Valentine for the manager position? Yes, it was Jeff Passan

14. jolink653 - Aug 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM

What Bob McClure decides to do in the privacy of the locker room is his business

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3127)