Aug 23, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan used to cover the Royals. Former Red Sox pitching coach Bob McClure used to work for the Royals.
That seems to be the entire basis for pointing to McClure as the leak for Passan’s explosive story last week. Well, that and the fact that McClure was fired by the Red Sox on Monday.
Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino was asked if he thought McClure was a key source in Passan’s report on the Dennis & Callahan radio show Thursday:
“There’s no way of knowing whether Bob McClure or whoever . . . of course, Bob McClure was not in that meeting,” Lucchino said. “I’m well aware of the overlap in Kansas City. That’s not a surprise to me. That was called to my attention. But, again there’s no way of knowing so I’m not going to make any baseless accusations.”
WEEI has more from the interview here.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)