Aug 23, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan used to cover the Royals. Former Red Sox pitching coach Bob McClure used to work for the Royals.
That seems to be the entire basis for pointing to McClure as the leak for Passan’s explosive story last week. Well, that and the fact that McClure was fired by the Red Sox on Monday.
Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino was asked if he thought McClure was a key source in Passan’s report on the Dennis & Callahan radio show Thursday:
“There’s no way of knowing whether Bob McClure or whoever . . . of course, Bob McClure was not in that meeting,” Lucchino said. “I’m well aware of the overlap in Kansas City. That’s not a surprise to me. That was called to my attention. But, again there’s no way of knowing so I’m not going to make any baseless accusations.”
WEEI has more from the interview here.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)