Aug 23, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan used to cover the Royals. Former Red Sox pitching coach Bob McClure used to work for the Royals.
That seems to be the entire basis for pointing to McClure as the leak for Passan’s explosive story last week. Well, that and the fact that McClure was fired by the Red Sox on Monday.
Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino was asked if he thought McClure was a key source in Passan’s report on the Dennis & Callahan radio show Thursday:
“There’s no way of knowing whether Bob McClure or whoever . . . of course, Bob McClure was not in that meeting,” Lucchino said. “I’m well aware of the overlap in Kansas City. That’s not a surprise to me. That was called to my attention. But, again there’s no way of knowing so I’m not going to make any baseless accusations.”
WEEI has more from the interview here.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39