Aug 23, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan used to cover the Royals. Former Red Sox pitching coach Bob McClure used to work for the Royals.
That seems to be the entire basis for pointing to McClure as the leak for Passan’s explosive story last week. Well, that and the fact that McClure was fired by the Red Sox on Monday.
Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino was asked if he thought McClure was a key source in Passan’s report on the Dennis & Callahan radio show Thursday:
“There’s no way of knowing whether Bob McClure or whoever . . . of course, Bob McClure was not in that meeting,” Lucchino said. “I’m well aware of the overlap in Kansas City. That’s not a surprise to me. That was called to my attention. But, again there’s no way of knowing so I’m not going to make any baseless accusations.”
WEEI has more from the interview here.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)