Aug 23, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
There was some random talk back at the end of the Joe Torre years that it would be fun to make Derek Jeter the Yankees’ player manager. Setting aside the face that being the manager of the Yankees is more than a full time job and that part of that job is insulating guys like Jeter from scrutiny, that would be fun.
Jeremy Lynn of CSNChicago.com asked Jeter about managing. I’m getting the impression he’s not keen on the idea:
“No chance. No chance. Nada. Zero. No, not a chance.”
So you’re saying there’s a chance? Er,wait, he’s not even doing that.
Which makes sense. Because when you manage a baseball team, there is scant time to make love to supermodels on piles of cash. Just ask Don Zimmer.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (228)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)