Aug 23, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Derek Jeter is having a great year. Especially for a 38 year-old. But the thing about elite, Hall of Fame talents is that they often have great years late in their career. That’s sort of part of being an elite, Hall of Fame talent.
But Skip Bayless thinks it is incumbent upon us to be suspicious of Jeter. He thinks we’d be “remiss” not to ask if he’s taking PEDs:
Bayless engaged in a heated debate in which he quoted BALCO founder Victor Conte as saying synthetic testosterone use is “rampant” in the majors today. He then asked, “If you are Derek Jeter, would you think about using HGH right now?” Bayless backed off accusing Jeter of any wrongdoing.
“I am not saying he uses a thing,” Bayless said. “I have no idea. But within the confines of his sport, it is fair for all of us, in fact you are remiss, if you don’t at least think about this.”
No Skip, you are not. You are, however, a classless muckraking jerk for making such a weasely insinuation designed to use Jeter’s fame and a volatile subject to bolster your “he’ll say anything!” brand and get people to watch your dumbass show.
What say you Jetes?
Jeter said he hadn’t viewed “First Take,” nor had he heard about Bayless’ statements.
Good plan. And Jeter didn’t ask me, but if he did, I’d tell him he should just watch “The Lights” on the NBC Sports Network in the morning. No Bayless or Smith. Just 20 minute loops of all of last night’s highlights repeating all morning. We’ll only report on Jeter taking steroids on “The Lights” if he does it in the middle of a game!
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)