Aug 23, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Derek Jeter is having a great year. Especially for a 38 year-old. But the thing about elite, Hall of Fame talents is that they often have great years late in their career. That’s sort of part of being an elite, Hall of Fame talent.
But Skip Bayless thinks it is incumbent upon us to be suspicious of Jeter. He thinks we’d be “remiss” not to ask if he’s taking PEDs:
Bayless engaged in a heated debate in which he quoted BALCO founder Victor Conte as saying synthetic testosterone use is “rampant” in the majors today. He then asked, “If you are Derek Jeter, would you think about using HGH right now?” Bayless backed off accusing Jeter of any wrongdoing.
“I am not saying he uses a thing,” Bayless said. “I have no idea. But within the confines of his sport, it is fair for all of us, in fact you are remiss, if you don’t at least think about this.”
No Skip, you are not. You are, however, a classless muckraking jerk for making such a weasely insinuation designed to use Jeter’s fame and a volatile subject to bolster your “he’ll say anything!” brand and get people to watch your dumbass show.
What say you Jetes?
Jeter said he hadn’t viewed “First Take,” nor had he heard about Bayless’ statements.
Good plan. And Jeter didn’t ask me, but if he did, I’d tell him he should just watch “The Lights” on the NBC Sports Network in the morning. No Bayless or Smith. Just 20 minute loops of all of last night’s highlights repeating all morning. We’ll only report on Jeter taking steroids on “The Lights” if he does it in the middle of a game!
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 31
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)