Aug 23, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Derek Jeter is having a great year. Especially for a 38 year-old. But the thing about elite, Hall of Fame talents is that they often have great years late in their career. That’s sort of part of being an elite, Hall of Fame talent.
But Skip Bayless thinks it is incumbent upon us to be suspicious of Jeter. He thinks we’d be “remiss” not to ask if he’s taking PEDs:
Bayless engaged in a heated debate in which he quoted BALCO founder Victor Conte as saying synthetic testosterone use is “rampant” in the majors today. He then asked, “If you are Derek Jeter, would you think about using HGH right now?” Bayless backed off accusing Jeter of any wrongdoing.
“I am not saying he uses a thing,” Bayless said. “I have no idea. But within the confines of his sport, it is fair for all of us, in fact you are remiss, if you don’t at least think about this.”
No Skip, you are not. You are, however, a classless muckraking jerk for making such a weasely insinuation designed to use Jeter’s fame and a volatile subject to bolster your “he’ll say anything!” brand and get people to watch your dumbass show.
What say you Jetes?
Jeter said he hadn’t viewed “First Take,” nor had he heard about Bayless’ statements.
Good plan. And Jeter didn’t ask me, but if he did, I’d tell him he should just watch “The Lights” on the NBC Sports Network in the morning. No Bayless or Smith. Just 20 minute loops of all of last night’s highlights repeating all morning. We’ll only report on Jeter taking steroids on “The Lights” if he does it in the middle of a game!
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)