Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Mesoraco has been in the majors all season, but the 24-year-old rookie has struggled while hitting .210 and hasn’t gotten consistent playing time behind veteran starter Ryan Hanigan.
Now the Reds will use Dioner Navarro as their little-used backup and presumably give Mesoraco everyday playing time in the minors, although the Triple-A season is just about over anyway and he’ll likely be called back up when rosters expand next month.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that Mesoraco will be eligible for the postseason roster via the injury replacement rule.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)