Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Mesoraco has been in the majors all season, but the 24-year-old rookie has struggled while hitting .210 and hasn’t gotten consistent playing time behind veteran starter Ryan Hanigan.
Now the Reds will use Dioner Navarro as their little-used backup and presumably give Mesoraco everyday playing time in the minors, although the Triple-A season is just about over anyway and he’ll likely be called back up when rosters expand next month.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that Mesoraco will be eligible for the postseason roster via the injury replacement rule.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)