Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Mesoraco has been in the majors all season, but the 24-year-old rookie has struggled while hitting .210 and hasn’t gotten consistent playing time behind veteran starter Ryan Hanigan.
Now the Reds will use Dioner Navarro as their little-used backup and presumably give Mesoraco everyday playing time in the minors, although the Triple-A season is just about over anyway and he’ll likely be called back up when rosters expand next month.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that Mesoraco will be eligible for the postseason roster via the injury replacement rule.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)