Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Mesoraco has been in the majors all season, but the 24-year-old rookie has struggled while hitting .210 and hasn’t gotten consistent playing time behind veteran starter Ryan Hanigan.
Now the Reds will use Dioner Navarro as their little-used backup and presumably give Mesoraco everyday playing time in the minors, although the Triple-A season is just about over anyway and he’ll likely be called back up when rosters expand next month.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that Mesoraco will be eligible for the postseason roster via the injury replacement rule.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)