Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Mesoraco has been in the majors all season, but the 24-year-old rookie has struggled while hitting .210 and hasn’t gotten consistent playing time behind veteran starter Ryan Hanigan.
Now the Reds will use Dioner Navarro as their little-used backup and presumably give Mesoraco everyday playing time in the minors, although the Triple-A season is just about over anyway and he’ll likely be called back up when rosters expand next month.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer notes that Mesoraco will be eligible for the postseason roster via the injury replacement rule.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 5
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 47
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 112
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (112)