The Baltimore Orioles are selling playoff tickets. This is really happening.

Aug 23, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Orioles logo

I know that just about every team in contention starts doing this at the end of August or the beginning of September. But that doesn’t make it any less odd to see it:

For the first time in 15 years, the Orioles will be sending out postseason ticket invoices to plan holders starting Thursday morning. All season ticketholders should get the invoices — making them eligible to buy tickets to all levels of potential playoffs at Camden Yards — by next week, and perhaps as early as Friday.

If the O’s do make the playoffs, I wonder if the local media in Baltimore will take a long enough break from Ravens coverage to notice.

1. mybrunoblog - Aug 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Eddie Murray knew about this months ago.

2. atworkident - Aug 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

“I wonder if the local media in Baltimore will take a long enough break from Ravens coverage to notice.”

Ha… hater… I love it. I live in Maryland but apparently closer to DC. The local media does awful baseball coverage. It’s usually covered Redskins, Capitals, Ovie, University of Maryland, Strasburg, Harper, Wizards, United, Navy, Nationals, Orioles… in that order.

Although in season the Ravens do get some coverage.

• nolanwiffle - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The Washington Post should not have feature coverage of the Ravens or Orioles. It’s The Washington Post, and the Redskins and Nats are our hometown teams. More disturbing to me is how the editors of the sports section seem to regard Virginia Tech and UVA as home teams…..the powerful alumni, I suppose.

Oh, and Baltimore is a baseball town. When they make the playoffs they will supplant the Ravens in the Sun’s sports page

• sportsdrenched - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

These must be high population density problems.

• natstowngreg - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The Washington Post covers the Nats quite a bit, and the amount of coverage has grown the past couple of years. Don’t know much about what other local media do, but I rather suspect the same is true.

Not as much as the Redskins, of course, but the gap is narrowing. It will take a long period of Nats success to close the gap fully, if that ever happens. The Redskins have been the #1 sports interest in the National Capital Region for decades–including 33 years when Washington had no MLB team.

3. number42is1 - Aug 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

You do realize that with the way that the Yanks are playing, and the fact that they have 13 games out of their next 16 games against the Rays and O’s, that they can slip right into 3rd in the AL east.

• sportsdrenched - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Or, solidify their playoff spot. Works both ways.

• number42is1 - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

yea… except that they are 18-15 in the last 33 games and 20-19 since the allstar break. no way they can win the division or even get a spot playing 500 ball the rest of the way. not the way the rest of the league is playing.

4. spudatx - Aug 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM

FWIW, Davey Johnson was at the helm for the Orioles the last time they made the playoffs.

5. southpaw2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I sure do hope that the Orioles sell out Camden Yards if they make the playoffs. It’s a real shame that the Yard still isn’t anywhere near full during their home games, despite being in the thick of the playoff hunt.

• dowhatifeellike - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM

3/4 of a good season doesn’t make up for 14 bad seasons. We want to believe but also don’t want to be let down again.

I have no doubt OPACY would be over capacity for playoff games, but given the team’s recent history of sh**ing the bed in August and September, we’re still skeptical. I’ll believe it when I see it.

• southpaw2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Oh I don’t disagree with a word of what you’re saying, but that doesn’t explain why PNC Park is packed with Pirates fans previously deep in hibernation for nearly 20 years. If they pack their park despite the team faltering a bit the last couple weeks, why can’t O’s fans pack the Yard?

• psuravens19 - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Under Buck, the O’s have actually played well in September, just ask any Sox fan.

• dowhatifeellike - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Southpaw – I don’t know the dynamics in Pittsburgh, but a major factor in the lack of attendance is that all of the corporate season ticket buyers have bailed. Giving O’s tickets to employees or clients just doesn’t pay off like it used to.

Many fans are also reluctant to give Angelos their money until he can show that he’ll spend it responsibly. This year he did pretty well but, again, most of the previous 14 years were spent chasing aging veterans (Guerrero, Lee, Milwood last year alone).

Since Angelos runs the team like a business, that’s how we look at it. We’ll pay for a good product, but not until we can see it. Even though we’re winning this year it has mostly been winning ugly. Combine that with the blistering heat through most of the summer and people would rather save their money and watch from the comfort of their own couch.

• DJ MC - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Attendance is up 20 percent for the season, and that doesn’t even include fewer “guaranteed” sellout dates like weekend Yankees series that the team won’t see until September.

A jump from 21K to 25K might not seem like much, but considering the past fourteen years and the time it usually takes for a playoff run to take hold, that’s pretty darn good.

6. willclarkgameface - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I have a bad feeling that if the Orioles make the playoffs, it will look like Oakland during their Moneyball/ALDS years, HALF EMPTY.

Maybe not and I”m pulling for the Orioles, but the fans down there must still have some big time hatred for Angelos, playoffs or not.

• bmorelikeme - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM

If they make the playoffs, the Yard will be packed, you can count on that. You nailed it regarding the hatred for Angelos and regular season attendance, but a playoff appearance for the Birds would transcend that hatred. I can say I would be be making the trek up from NOVA regardless of ticket price or work constraints.

7. Loose Changeup - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

As an Orioles fan, I hope that if they somehow actually make the playoffs, they don’t have to face Texas in the first round.

8. jrocknstuff - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Dowhatifeellike hit the nail on the head. If they make the playoffs the yard will be absolutely packed just like the late 90’s. Problem is, we have a long memory around here. We know how the Birds tend to play in September and we just don’t believe yet. The longer they stay in contention, the more people will be showing up to the yard. I live 15 minutes south of Baltimore and it wouldn’t hurt the Orioles to spend a little bit of money on publicity. The commercials with Uncle Buck stopped running in early April.

• southpaw2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM

We’re practically neighbors since I live near Canton, but I was expecting a typical July/August swoon, and the Birds have avoided that for the most part. I have to admit, I still feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone since I’ve lived in Baltimore since 1999, and the closest I’ve ever gotten to being this excited over the O’s was in 2005. I just hope this season doesn’t come apart at the seams like the second half of that season did.

9. natstowngreg - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Substitute “Nationals” and “Nationals Park” and you get, basically, the same story.

We got an invoice for playoff tickets, as owners of a couple of (half) season tickets. I commented that it was a great and momentus thing that we were even getting an invoice for playoff tickets, much less getting actual tickets.

• indaburg - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Good for the Nats and the Orioles. I had the same feeling back in 2008, when no one thought the Rays were for real.

10. dowhatifeellike - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

What amazes me most about this situation is that the team has so many holes in it and is still doing well. 3/5 of the current rotation started the year in AAA. Worst defense in baseball (but better with Machado at 3B). Hitting with RISP is horrid for weeks at a time. No real first baseman or left fielder. Omar Quintinilla at second? Who? But they find ways to get it done.

11. rcali - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

How Cute. It is a business though and companies love to tie up other people’s money as much as they can.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3235)