Aug 23, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
The cut fastball has certainly increased in popularity over the last several years, not only as the pitch that made Mariano Rivera but also as a go-to offering for starters like Roy Halladay and Jon Lester. The Orioles, though, don’t want their young pitchers throwing cutters, feeling it will take away from their other pitches.
Former A’s and Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson, now Baltimore’s director of pitching development, offered his thoughts on the cutter to MASN’s Steve Melewski:
Typically what we see is the more you throw that cutter, you can become dependent on it and you start to overuse it and typically what happens to guys that overuse the cutter is their fastball velocity drops. That has been consistent over the years.
I’m not saying the cutter is not a good pitch, don’t misunderstand me. A cutter used effectively is a nice addition to your arsenal. But a cutter thrown 40 percent of the time for a young power pitcher can become a crutch, then your velocity drops and you fail to develop your changeup and a breaking ball that has depth to it. The cutter overused is normally not displacing changeups and curveballs, it’s displacing fastballs.
Orioles executive VP Dan Duquette feels the same way about the cutter, and it’s been taken out of top prospect Dylan Bundy’s arsenal since he was drafted last year. Peterson said the Orioles are modeling Bundy’s arsenal after Justin Verlander‘s: fastball, curveball, changeup.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (186)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)