Aug 23, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
An eventful game in Detroit this afternoon:
- Miguel Cabrera gets hurt;
- Justin Verlander pitches fantastically — striking out 12 in nine innings — but gets the no-decision;
- Austin Jackson makes a pretty darn spectacular catch in right-center, saving a run in the top of the 10th inning; and
- Alex Avila wins it in the 11th with a walkoff singling in Quintin Berry. Tigers take it over the Blue Jays, 3-2.
That was much needed by Avila. Not just because it won the game for Detroit, but because it snapped an 0 for 14 snap.
Viva afternoon baseball.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 1
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)