Aug 23, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
An eventful game in Detroit this afternoon:
- Miguel Cabrera gets hurt;
- Justin Verlander pitches fantastically — striking out 12 in nine innings — but gets the no-decision;
- Austin Jackson makes a pretty darn spectacular catch in right-center, saving a run in the top of the 10th inning; and
- Alex Avila wins it in the 11th with a walkoff singling in Quintin Berry. Tigers take it over the Blue Jays, 3-2.
That was much needed by Avila. Not just because it won the game for Detroit, but because it snapped an 0 for 14 snap.
Viva afternoon baseball.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)