Aug 23, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
An eventful game in Detroit this afternoon:
- Miguel Cabrera gets hurt;
- Justin Verlander pitches fantastically — striking out 12 in nine innings — but gets the no-decision;
- Austin Jackson makes a pretty darn spectacular catch in right-center, saving a run in the top of the 10th inning; and
- Alex Avila wins it in the 11th with a walkoff singling in Quintin Berry. Tigers take it over the Blue Jays, 3-2.
That was much needed by Avila. Not just because it won the game for Detroit, but because it snapped an 0 for 14 snap.
Viva afternoon baseball.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 39
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 25
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)