Aug 23, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
An eventful game in Detroit this afternoon:
- Miguel Cabrera gets hurt;
- Justin Verlander pitches fantastically — striking out 12 in nine innings — but gets the no-decision;
- Austin Jackson makes a pretty darn spectacular catch in right-center, saving a run in the top of the 10th inning; and
- Alex Avila wins it in the 11th with a walkoff singling in Quintin Berry. Tigers take it over the Blue Jays, 3-2.
That was much needed by Avila. Not just because it won the game for Detroit, but because it snapped an 0 for 14 snap.
Viva afternoon baseball.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)