Tommy Lasorda wants the Dodgers schedule on his tombstone

Aug 23, 2012, 10:30 AM EST

2011 Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Getty Images

I would have gone with “Thomas Charles ‘Tommy’ Lasorda: 1927–20XX:  Not terribly impressed with Dave Kingman’s performance.”  But this is nice too:

“I’ve already told my wife that when I do go I want our home schedule attached to my tombstone,” Lasorda said. “I want people who are in the cemetery visiting their loved ones to say, ‘Let’s go to Lasorda’s grave and see if the Dodgers are playing home or away … Hey, I love this organization so much I want to be working for it even after I’m dead.”

In the dictionary, next to the definition of “Company Man,” there is a picture of a guy saying “Dudes, regular company men have NOTHING on Lasorda.”

1. heyblueyoustink - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM

And maybe have a slimfast logo etched in the corner.

• mja2001 - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Doesn’t anyone remember his days as a Slim-Fast pitch man, is that why this is getting the thumbs-down? I still remember the annoying commercials from back in the day! He should totally get that logo on his stone!

I don’t like the Dodgers either, but he’s like Tony Gwynn, no one really hates him, he’s great for the game as a whole, and means something to us SoCal fans.

2. thatyankeedude - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Best manager ever!! Not even a dodger fan but I love the guy

3. pisano - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

How about the biggest mouth in baseball instead.

4. mybrunoblog - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Have to admire Lasorda’s love of all things Dodgers. Maybe they can attach a audio recording to his tombstone. You know, the one where he uses the F word like 30 times in 2 minutes. Priceless.

5. number42is1 - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Wow Craig! you could not be more shortsighted if you tried. it should read “…1927-30XX”. the dudes gonna live for at least another 1000 years.

6. Jon Weisman - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM

This story dates back to the Lasorda’s start as Dodger manager in the 1970s. He’s been telling it for that long. That’s Tommy.

7. willclarkgameface - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM

How can you not like Lasorda? I grew up cheering for the Giants (hence the screen name I have chosen) and I still think this guy is a class act, one of the best managers baseball has ever seen (regardless of what his detractors say about how he used his pitching staff – to them i say BUCK UP BUTTERCUPS and PITCH. that’s what you’re paid to do), a true ambassador of the game, and the biggest Dodger fan on the planet.

He’s the man and when he goes, I will visit his burial site to pay respect.

• bancacentral - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

…That and to know when the next Giants/Dodgers series is going to be played.

8. lumpyf - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

When the time comes and you pay your respects to Tommy, in lieu of flowers, please bring a bowl of pasta.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester