And now, the worst tweet in the history of social media

Aug 24, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

I think MLB does a great job with social media and video and the entire online experience. Really, look around at what other leagues and most businesses do, and no one can hold a candle to ‘em.  Bravo, MLB. I mean that sincerely.

But that said, if someone isn’t fired over this tweet from last night, there should be a blue ribbon commission set up to investigate why:

OK, maybe not fired. The person who tweeted that had to wake up this morning and look at themselves in the mirror. That’s punishment enough.

1. darthicarus - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM

MLB also tweeted about Snooki being at a Mets game so this isn’t shocking. I’m sure all those ‘tween girls that follow MLB on Twitter saw that tweet & instantly thought, “Like OMG I totally am going to get a subscription to MLB.TV now & will take a duck face pic of myself purchasing it & then everyone can follow me on Instagram.”

2. number42is1 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Judge me of you want… but i LOLd

• manute - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Me too. Come on, Craig!

• deadeyedesign23 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I want to watch Friday now.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Have to agree, It’s tacky in a clever kind of way. Made me laugh.

• seeinred87 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Haha I laughed too, partially because of how much of a stretch is.

• townballblog - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

“Judge me of you want… but i LOLd.” Me too.

Craig, I’m sorry but that was brilliant. I’m starting to question your Tweet-judging-abilities; between this and “Chipper shouldn’t tweet,” come on, Craig!

This guy/gal should be getting a promotion.

3. crispybasil - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy. But here’s my butt cheek. Inject me, maybe?

4. liamj55 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The fact it was about the Phillies gives Craig the extra incentive.

5. paulhargis53 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

It’s just too bad John Mabry wasn’t playing…..

6. sdelmonte - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

All I can say is, every time I hear about that song, I think of Maeby Funke.

7. Gamera the Brave - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Was the tweet written by a 12-year-old MLB employee? The only reason an MLB would even know this song is if they either are 12, or have a tween at home…

In fairness, he or she may have been screwed by spell check.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first tweet…

• seeinred87 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

That’s not necessarily true. I went months without ever hearing it until they were playing it over the park speakers at Cedar Point. I used to love Cedar Point…

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:59 AM

You are incorrect sir. I am surrounded by wonderful ladies in an office where they control the radio. Believe me, we’re not listening to Led Zepplin.

• hasbeen5 - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Or unless they watched 5 minutes of Olympic coverage. I had never heard it until I saw the video the swim team did. Now it will never leave my head.

• hittfamily - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Time to get out of the brave cave every once in a while. That song is everywhere. And I like it. Beats the snot out of Little Wayne, Kanye, or Bieber

8. thereisaparty - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

So true. Only 12 year-olds could possibly know such a ubiquitous song. You clearly recognize it. Are you a 12yo?

I listen to noise. I am not a tween. But I sure as hell can sing along to the chorus of “Call Me Maybe”.

9. kvanhorn87 - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

The tweet was funny. Yes, the extra Phillies hate probably fuels the article. Mayberry was playing

10. hushbrother - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I like to think that Carly Ray whateverhernameis has to look in the mirror every day knowing that stupid song is going to define her for the rest of her life. When she’s 90 years old, people are still going to ask her to sing a few lines from it. There’ll be no escape. It’s gonna haunt her forever.

• number42is1 - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM

im sure shes wiping away her tears with hundred dollar bills

11. mattjerr - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Craig, you’re an idiot. I laughed ass off. That’s genius.

12. scatterbrian - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM

At first I felt old because I didn’t know what this was referring to….but then I googled it and realized it’s because I don’t listen to the radio and/or crappy music.

13. scapistron - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM

NHL does a far superior job with highlights, they put them on YouTube.

14. sisqsage - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Craig, are you jealous of someone else’s tweeting ability?
    It’s a pretty clever tweet about a ridiculous ballgame, one should be able to easily admit.

15. foreverchipper10 - Aug 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, I took some bath salts, your face looks tasty.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2972)