Angels beat the Red Sox in the stupidest game of 2012

Aug 24, 2012, 12:08 AM EST

Pedro Ciriaco AP

Craziest? Wildest? No, I’m sticking with stupidest.

The Angels edged the Red Sox 14-13 in 10 innings Thursday. Some highlights:

- Boston blew a six-run lead by giving up eight runs in the top of the third

- The Angels put together said eight-run inning without the benefit of an extra-base hit. They did, however, benefit from two bases-loaded walks by two different pitchers, a Pedro Ciriaco error and a dropped ball on a botched rundown.

- The Red Sox took the lead in the eighth and scored in both the ninth and 10th innings, yet lost the game.

- There were four blown saves, two from the current closers (Alfredo Aceves and Ernesto Frieri) and two from past closers (Andrew Bailey and Jason Isringhausen).

- Both closers came out for another inning after blowing their saves and gave up more runs. Aceves was horrible in allowing three runs in the ninth, yet was allowed to come back out and give up two more runs in the 10th. Frieri allowed a run in the ninth and a run in the 10th. The Red Sox may well have re-tied or won the game against Frieri in the 10th if Mike Trout hadn’t had Jacoby Ellsbury played perfectly on Ellsbury’s shot to the left-center gap.

- Vernon Wells hit a homer in the ninth that probably wasn’t a homer, except the Red Sox didn’t bother arguing it (the ball hit off the red line at the top of the Green Monster and bounced back into the field of play)

The Wells homer-double debacle probably didn’t matter, since the Angels followed his homer with three singles and two more runs anyway. Bobby Valentine deserves a whole lot of blame for being asleep at the wheel, though, not only for not arguing that play but for leaving Aceves in.

Some totals from the game:

Of the 18 starters tonight, seven players had at least three hits, 13 drove in at least one run and 15 scored at least once. Ciriaco had four hits and four runs scored for Boston, while Dustin Pedroia had four hits and five RBI. Trout went 3-for-6 with two RBI and two steals.

15 pitchers were used. Five of the seven Angels hurlers allowed at least a run, while only four of the Red Sox’s eight pitches gave up runs. Of course, the difference there was that Boston’s closer allowed five runs.

1. Glenn - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I watched the Celtics for almost every game in the season that they were playing to lose (to get Durant or Oden). I watched the Patriots in the Plunkett/Vatahah/Sam Bam Cunningham years. I never miss a Sox game if I am near a TV set. I promised my wife that tonight was our last Sox game of the season when this one ended. I would rather watch meth heads pick at their sores.

• mickeylolich1968 - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM

At least Plunkett and Sam Cummingham played like they had a soul. I don’t remember Steve Grogan crying about his contract every year.
      These Red Sox players open their mouths and sound like they hate their jobs. Fine, if you hate your job that much, don’t put yourself through it, quit. Walk away. Sit home and ‘feel respected”.

• spudatx - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:04 AM

So you’d rather watch the minor league Tampa Bay Rays meth heads play lackluster ball than watch the Sox?

• mattyflex - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I’d rather watch you drink ipecac syrup.

• nesuperfan - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:06 AM

LOL, great visual: Meth heads picking their sores.

• fearlessleader - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Speaking of meth heads, the dudes on MLBN’s Quick Pitch just called this “one of the best games of the year.” There are not enough WTFs on my keyboard.

• sdelmonte - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Isn’t that the plot for this week’s Breaking Bad?

• bigleagues - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I was out at the store last night. I went into the store as the top of the 3rd started with the Sox up 6-0 and Morales seemingly cruising. I came back out 30 minutes later and thought I was in the Twilight Zone when Joe Castiglione, coming back from a commercial break, said “the Angels lead 8-6″.

Then, I was in and out of the car doing a few other evening errands and thought we were in pretty good shape when they were up 11-9 heading into the ninth. My GF gets home from work late, so I missed the drama of the 9th, 10th and 11th.

I went back down to the car just in time to hear an exasperated post-game host state, “well, Sox lose it 14-13 in 11 Innings” and I scrambled to find a napkin in the glovebox as my ears instantaneously began bleeding.

The ER doctor said my brain had exploded – though I had trouble believing that since somehow I had made it through the 2003 ALCS and 1986 without injury. It was only after I realize that the ER was filled with mind-exploded Red Sox fans that I fully accepted the doctors diagnosis.

Only about 5 weeks until Celtics camp and my World Champion Giants will help soothe the pain in the meantime.

2. willclarkgameface - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM

The Red Sox are just sad. The game was so damn pathetic tonight. I mean, both sides had shit pitching, but to not be able to win that game at home makes you a huge loser Boston.

Pack it in. The Red Sox worst season in 18 years.

3. angrycorgi - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Another garbage start by CJ Wilson. This guy has stunk since the Allstar break.

4. Marty - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Kruk and Kuip quipped “another AL game”

Pitching?

5. hardballtalkusername - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Another stat: Red Sox scored 11 runs with two outs

6. hardballtalkusername - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Also that was one of the most entertaining games I’ve seen. The back and fourth was awesome, especially the ninth inning. Vernon Wells also had two hits and a walk, thus freezing hell over.

7. fearlessleader - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Pouliot’s been reading my text messages again, except mine included profanity between “dumbest” and “game.”

• fearlessleader - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Whoops, sorry, he used “stupidest.” I’m good with either.

8. spizzjr - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Lmfao red sox Wat a joke bwahahahahaha

• bw1980 - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Have you been complimented on your grammar and overall grasp of the English language lately?

No? I wonder why?

• jimeejohnson - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Grammar police alert!

9. hittfamily - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM

If only 4 of your 8 pitchers gave up runs, why pull them? I mean at some point it had to cross Boby V’s mind that this game may go extras, right? You have to stick with a reliever who gives up 5 runs in 2 innings when you don’t have any relievers left.

10. astrosfan75956 - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Trout is such a baller, he should be the MVP. I can see a first round fantasy pick in his near future.

• nbjays - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

But… but….what about the unwritten rule that says an MVP must come from either a playoff contending team or the Yankees? ;-)

11. sabatimus - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:23 AM

FOUR blown saves???? That alone is enough to call a game stupid.

12. aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Jesus, I mean…there are just no words any more.

This team…THIS GODDAMNED TEAM…

I swear, this horror show of a Red Sox season might legitimately give some of the pre-2004 “cursed” teams a run for their money.

There’s just nothing left to say…all Sox fans can do at this point is try to find some gallows pole-style humor in this dysfunctional madness and get a bitter little chuckle out of it over some beers.

• badintent - Aug 24, 2012 at 3:52 AM

It’s not to later to become a Yankee fan. Just pay the new NYC medallion fee of $25K. Make the Check out to controller of NYC.Make sure Mayor Bloomberg knows and you get a free Nathan hot dog with NY Fries.Be happy now. You’ve left hell for heaven. Smart, really smart !

• bill13k - Aug 24, 2012 at 6:44 AM

While your offer of free fatty food is intriguing, I think most Boston fans would rather take a Chara slapshot to the crotch than jump on a New York teams bandwagon no matter how pathetic the Boston team is doing.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Ha! Thanks, but no thanks.

Being a Sox fan builds character.

No offense, but being a Yankees fan is the easiest thing in the world.

• KR - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Free hot dog and fries sounds good, but I assume it only comes with a 12oz soda?

13. stex52 - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:48 AM

It seems rather surprising that you could designate a stupidest game of the year and it did not involve the Astros (especially), Mets, Cubs, Twins, Padres or Marlins.

But never fear. The Astros have stupidest season in a lock.

• paperlions - Aug 24, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Feel free to list a single thing the Astros have done that was a negative. The organization was a shambles from top to bottom. To any objective observer, they looked most of a decade from competing, they really had that little talent. If you can’t win this year or next, there is no reason to try to win 70 games if you can make moves that will help you win 90 games in a few years.

I know you are frustrated, but blowing everything up and building a foundation in the organization are necessary….winning a few extra games now or keeping the old busted regimes guys around an extra month are completely irrelevant to the long-term goal.

• stex52 - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Have you watched many of the games? I was referring to play on the field. Perhaps you would like the sacrifice bunt for a triple scoring a run. Or the air-mailed throw from the outfield that threw away the StL game the other night. Etc. Etc.

Luhnow’s moves are long enough consequence that it is impossible to judge at this point. Count me as a skeptic. But what he has done has made the team impossible to watch for anyone who really appreciates baseball.

14. keithbangedyermom - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:55 AM

The most loathsome, underachieving team in baseball. Eff every one those whineass LOSERS.

• ron05342 - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Are you talking about the Red Sox or the Angels?

I think the word “underachieving” could actually apply to both teams.

• KR - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Chad Finn I think on twitter said last night “It’s like a one game playoff for most disappointing team”

15. bosoxfan1950 - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Seeing as how there is no such word as “stupidest,” this makes you, Mathew Pouliot, the “most stupid” sports writer thus far. Still want to stick with “stupidest?”
    Mrs. Gump is right again. “Stupid is as stupid does.”

• fearlessleader - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Whoopsie! If you’re going to be a grammar scold (and I LOVE being a grammar scold!), you’d better be sure you’re right.

• CJ - Aug 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM

oops. In addition, some use words that are ‘no such words” for emphasis.

Like because you don’t know stupidest is a word, and ignorantly call out the writer for being right, I shall call you “stoopid”. Google “stupidest” and 2 of the top 6 hits are in things called dictionaries. Which contain legit words.

• bw1980 - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Speaking of “stoopid”, it’s bad enough that people use like when communicating orally, using it in the context of written communication is absolutely, like, annoying as hell.

“Like because you don’t know stupidest is a word”

• CJ - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

you know like pissing on like grammar police like well you know yourself, just makes any day like especially fridays you know, like that much better.

like thanks! amirite?

• CJ - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM

sorry, EDIT! I meant “pissing off”. I prefer not to piss on any sort of police, even if they’re just the grammer kind :D

yes, I know it’s not grammer, try not to get your panties in a bunch.

• meteor32 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It’s a perfectly cromulent word. Perhaps you should embiggen your vocabulary.

16. greej1938l - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Stupidest? Ha ha real professional

17. btwicey - Aug 24, 2012 at 3:22 AM

If trout isn’t #1 in all fantasy leagues next year that league isn’t worth being in. What an amazingly amazing talent this kid is. What a decade we are in for!

18. roverboy1949 - Aug 24, 2012 at 5:54 AM

I have loved the Red Sox sinve the 1950’s, when they were a second division team that couldn’t beat anyone. At least they tried. There are some on this team that still play hard, but there are too many that phone it in every night. How can you score as many runs as the Sox score and be 14 games out of first? There pitching stinks! I have tried to keep the faith, but last night was the ultimate in futility. The offense comes out and gives them a 6 run lead, and the pitching blows it in 1 inning. They come back 2 more times and the pitching blows it again. I don’t know who is to blame for this staff – manager, front office, pitching coach(no, he got fired), or just an overrated group of pitchers( and I use the term loosely). Changes need to be made from the top to the bottom. There is no time to wait for the team to “gel’. Some of their decisions over the last few years have been terrible, to say the least. injuries have hurt, but look at the Rays, Yankees, and just about every other major league team. You plan on injuries and play through them. Many of the Sox back-ups have done a great job. If the pitching had been 1/2 as good as the back-ups were, the Sox would be in the hunt for at least a wild card. They are not going to the playoffs, so there will be plenty of time to think about the roster moves they need to make, starting with the manager.

• redsoxfan75 - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Horrible is a word I’ve used often this year. These guys are unlike any red sox team I’ve seem in recent memory. Under achieves and spoiled babies. Look at Lester and Beckett. Give them each 4 to 5 more wins and wonder where we would be. Well , that’s before this past week or so when we really have just packed it in and said nighty night. Sad season , sad effort , just pathetic.

19. legacybroken - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Red Sox fans will likely have to accept that this team will likely remain mostly intact for a couple of seasons. You have a large number of underachievers with untradeable albatross contracts and most of the players who have done well are likely gone at the end of this season or the next. Boston is pretty much stuck in the same wreck Houston was for the last few years. Be ready for a few years in the Wilderness while The Yankee’s and Rays compete for titles.

20. ndrocks2 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Bobby V has checked out hopefully they don’t wait until the end of the year to make the move and give the fans a sign that upper management hasn’t checked out as well. Theycan deal with the players in the off season…

21. giantssb42champs - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM

The Curse of Theo.

22. ssgtchrisusmc - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I think stupidest game of the year is kinda harsh. I think you are stupid!!! So there a$$hole

23. vette78man - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Stupidest of the year? Really!?! Two words. Cleveland. Indians.

And I’m a fan.

24. pinkfloydprism - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Most stupid.

25. severinsmith - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM

It’s so bad, it doesn’t even hurt.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester