Aug 24, 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
CC Sabathia never thought his elbow issue was of major concern, and he dealt a blow to anyone who doubted him by holding the Indians to one run in 7 1/3 innings and striking out nine in a victory Friday night.
Sabathia allowed just four hits in improving to 13-3 on the season. An Asdrubal Cabrera home run to center was the only damage.
The win snapped a three-game losing streak for the Bombers.
The most notable event from the game came when Corey Kluber beaned Derek Jeter in the second inning, knocking the shortstop’s helmet off (video here). Uncharacteristically, Jeter yelled at Kluber after the pitch, but he took his base and remained in the game. He finished with two hits.
Sabathia has won his last six decisions dating back to June 12. He’s now 3-1 with a 2.63 ERA in six career starts against his original organization.
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 1
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 1
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 3
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 26
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)