Aug 24, 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
CC Sabathia never thought his elbow issue was of major concern, and he dealt a blow to anyone who doubted him by holding the Indians to one run in 7 1/3 innings and striking out nine in a victory Friday night.
Sabathia allowed just four hits in improving to 13-3 on the season. An Asdrubal Cabrera home run to center was the only damage.
The win snapped a three-game losing streak for the Bombers.
The most notable event from the game came when Corey Kluber beaned Derek Jeter in the second inning, knocking the shortstop’s helmet off (video here). Uncharacteristically, Jeter yelled at Kluber after the pitch, but he took his base and remained in the game. He finished with two hits.
Sabathia has won his last six decisions dating back to June 12. He’s now 3-1 with a 2.63 ERA in six career starts against his original organization.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)