Aug 24, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Chris Davis was further phased out of the Rangers’ plans two years ago by the Adrian Beltre signing. Now an Oriole, he watched Wednesday as Beltre hit three homers against his club in a Rangers rout. Davis, though, didn’t take it lying down. He joined Beltre and became the ninth player this year to hit three homers a game Friday in Baltimore’s 6-4 win over Toronto.
Davis homered twice off starter Carlos Villanueva and once off Steve Delabar to up his season total to 23 homers. While he has an ugly 132/26 K/BB ratio in 402 at-bats, he has hit an adequate .256 and driven in 64 runs.
The Orioles gave Davis a look at third base after picking him up in last summer’s Koji Uehara deal, but they’ve kept him away from the hot corner this season. He’s started 38 games at first, 15 in right and 11 in left, while also doing plenty of DHing.
Of course, he also famously picked up a win in relief in a game against the Red Sox in which he went 0-for-8 as a hitter.
The Orioles don’t figure to bring back Mark Reynolds next year — having both he and Davis in the lineup has altered wind patterns in the greater Baltimore area — so Davis could wind up as the team’s primary first baseman. He’ll further enhance his case if he makes a run at 30 homers next month.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)