Aug 24, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Chris Davis was further phased out of the Rangers’ plans two years ago by the Adrian Beltre signing. Now an Oriole, he watched Wednesday as Beltre hit three homers against his club in a Rangers rout. Davis, though, didn’t take it lying down. He joined Beltre and became the ninth player this year to hit three homers a game Friday in Baltimore’s 6-4 win over Toronto.
Davis homered twice off starter Carlos Villanueva and once off Steve Delabar to up his season total to 23 homers. While he has an ugly 132/26 K/BB ratio in 402 at-bats, he has hit an adequate .256 and driven in 64 runs.
The Orioles gave Davis a look at third base after picking him up in last summer’s Koji Uehara deal, but they’ve kept him away from the hot corner this season. He’s started 38 games at first, 15 in right and 11 in left, while also doing plenty of DHing.
Of course, he also famously picked up a win in relief in a game against the Red Sox in which he went 0-for-8 as a hitter.
The Orioles don’t figure to bring back Mark Reynolds next year — having both he and Davis in the lineup has altered wind patterns in the greater Baltimore area — so Davis could wind up as the team’s primary first baseman. He’ll further enhance his case if he makes a run at 30 homers next month.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 0
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 15
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)