Aug 24, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Life is too damn short to get worked up over your baseball team. Sure, they can disappoint you. They can make you angry. They can cast a pall on the season in such a way that you just give up on it in August and start to think about apple picking and leaf raking and anything in the world that isn’t baseball. But you really shouldn’t get so agitated about it that it profoundly affects your emotions and, dare I say it, even begins to impact your physical and mental health.
No, let Mike Francesa do that for you. Let him uncork ten minutes of bile about your team — say, if it’s the Mets — that is cleansing and liberating and at turns hilarious. And when you get done listening to it, prepare yourself for autumn in New York without a care in the world. Because it really is nice in New York in autumn.
My favorite part: “You’re playing a team that stinks! You’re playing a bunch of minor leaguers! … They don’t have anybody in the lineup!” Because I forgot about the murderer’s row that the heretofore elite New York Mets have been trotting out all year.
I hope his doctor stays nearby when he gets like this.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)