Aug 24, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Life is too damn short to get worked up over your baseball team. Sure, they can disappoint you. They can make you angry. They can cast a pall on the season in such a way that you just give up on it in August and start to think about apple picking and leaf raking and anything in the world that isn’t baseball. But you really shouldn’t get so agitated about it that it profoundly affects your emotions and, dare I say it, even begins to impact your physical and mental health.
No, let Mike Francesa do that for you. Let him uncork ten minutes of bile about your team — say, if it’s the Mets — that is cleansing and liberating and at turns hilarious. And when you get done listening to it, prepare yourself for autumn in New York without a care in the world. Because it really is nice in New York in autumn.
My favorite part: “You’re playing a team that stinks! You’re playing a bunch of minor leaguers! … They don’t have anybody in the lineup!” Because I forgot about the murderer’s row that the heretofore elite New York Mets have been trotting out all year.
I hope his doctor stays nearby when he gets like this.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)