Aug 24, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Life is too damn short to get worked up over your baseball team. Sure, they can disappoint you. They can make you angry. They can cast a pall on the season in such a way that you just give up on it in August and start to think about apple picking and leaf raking and anything in the world that isn’t baseball. But you really shouldn’t get so agitated about it that it profoundly affects your emotions and, dare I say it, even begins to impact your physical and mental health.
No, let Mike Francesa do that for you. Let him uncork ten minutes of bile about your team — say, if it’s the Mets — that is cleansing and liberating and at turns hilarious. And when you get done listening to it, prepare yourself for autumn in New York without a care in the world. Because it really is nice in New York in autumn.
My favorite part: “You’re playing a team that stinks! You’re playing a bunch of minor leaguers! … They don’t have anybody in the lineup!” Because I forgot about the murderer’s row that the heretofore elite New York Mets have been trotting out all year.
I hope his doctor stays nearby when he gets like this.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)