Aug 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
A few weeks ago Indians general manager Chris Antonetti made it clear that manager Manny Acta wouldn’t be fired despite the team falling apart in the second half for a second straight season.
But what about Antonetti’s job? Or the job of the man above him, team president and former general manager Mark Shapiro? Well, they’re safe too, according to Indians owner Paul Dolan: “We all have a lot of work to do, but their jobs aren’t at stake.”
It’s worth noting that Dolan said those words to Zack Meisel of MLB.com while attending Acta’s charity bowling fundraiser, so something like “I dunno, I have to think about whether or not to fire some people” probably would have been kind of a buzzkill.
Cleveland went 33-40 after the All-Star break last year, which looks downright dominant compared to this year’s 10-29 record in the second half. To which Dolan said:
It’s been extraordinarily difficult. In our entire tenure of ownership, we have not seen a contending team deep into the season collapse like this. I don’t really know what’s happened to this team. It’s going to take more time to assess what we have and what we need and what we’re capable of doing. … Hopefully sometime this offseason, we’ll be able to assess and move from there.
Acta was hired as manager in October of 2009, while Antonetti took over for Shapiro before the 2010 season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)