Aug 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
A few weeks ago Indians general manager Chris Antonetti made it clear that manager Manny Acta wouldn’t be fired despite the team falling apart in the second half for a second straight season.
But what about Antonetti’s job? Or the job of the man above him, team president and former general manager Mark Shapiro? Well, they’re safe too, according to Indians owner Paul Dolan: “We all have a lot of work to do, but their jobs aren’t at stake.”
It’s worth noting that Dolan said those words to Zack Meisel of MLB.com while attending Acta’s charity bowling fundraiser, so something like “I dunno, I have to think about whether or not to fire some people” probably would have been kind of a buzzkill.
Cleveland went 33-40 after the All-Star break last year, which looks downright dominant compared to this year’s 10-29 record in the second half. To which Dolan said:
It’s been extraordinarily difficult. In our entire tenure of ownership, we have not seen a contending team deep into the season collapse like this. I don’t really know what’s happened to this team. It’s going to take more time to assess what we have and what we need and what we’re capable of doing. … Hopefully sometime this offseason, we’ll be able to assess and move from there.
Acta was hired as manager in October of 2009, while Antonetti took over for Shapiro before the 2010 season.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)