Aug 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
A few weeks ago Indians general manager Chris Antonetti made it clear that manager Manny Acta wouldn’t be fired despite the team falling apart in the second half for a second straight season.
But what about Antonetti’s job? Or the job of the man above him, team president and former general manager Mark Shapiro? Well, they’re safe too, according to Indians owner Paul Dolan: “We all have a lot of work to do, but their jobs aren’t at stake.”
It’s worth noting that Dolan said those words to Zack Meisel of MLB.com while attending Acta’s charity bowling fundraiser, so something like “I dunno, I have to think about whether or not to fire some people” probably would have been kind of a buzzkill.
Cleveland went 33-40 after the All-Star break last year, which looks downright dominant compared to this year’s 10-29 record in the second half. To which Dolan said:
It’s been extraordinarily difficult. In our entire tenure of ownership, we have not seen a contending team deep into the season collapse like this. I don’t really know what’s happened to this team. It’s going to take more time to assess what we have and what we need and what we’re capable of doing. … Hopefully sometime this offseason, we’ll be able to assess and move from there.
Acta was hired as manager in October of 2009, while Antonetti took over for Shapiro before the 2010 season.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 38
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)