Aug 24, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Saunders, 31, has a 4.22 ERA and 89/31 K/BB ratio in 130 innings over 21 starts this season and is due to hit free agency this winter. The Diamondbacks enter play this evening at 64-61 on the year, six games behind the Giants in the National League West and 4 1/2 back in the Wild Card, so they are still alive in playoff race, but they could be motivated to move him and give some of their young arms a shot down the stretch. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Orioles have shown the most interest in Saunders.
On a related note, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona tonight that the team will utilize six starters for now, which means Tyler Skaggs will remain in the starting rotation. Skaggs allowed two runs on three hits and five walks over 6 2/3 innings Wednesday in his major league debut against the Marlins.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)