Aug 24, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Saunders, 31, has a 4.22 ERA and 89/31 K/BB ratio in 130 innings over 21 starts this season and is due to hit free agency this winter. The Diamondbacks enter play this evening at 64-61 on the year, six games behind the Giants in the National League West and 4 1/2 back in the Wild Card, so they are still alive in playoff race, but they could be motivated to move him and give some of their young arms a shot down the stretch. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Orioles have shown the most interest in Saunders.
On a related note, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona tonight that the team will utilize six starters for now, which means Tyler Skaggs will remain in the starting rotation. Skaggs allowed two runs on three hits and five walks over 6 2/3 innings Wednesday in his major league debut against the Marlins.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)