Aug 24, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Saunders, 31, has a 4.22 ERA and 89/31 K/BB ratio in 130 innings over 21 starts this season and is due to hit free agency this winter. The Diamondbacks enter play this evening at 64-61 on the year, six games behind the Giants in the National League West and 4 1/2 back in the Wild Card, so they are still alive in playoff race, but they could be motivated to move him and give some of their young arms a shot down the stretch. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Orioles have shown the most interest in Saunders.
On a related note, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona tonight that the team will utilize six starters for now, which means Tyler Skaggs will remain in the starting rotation. Skaggs allowed two runs on three hits and five walks over 6 2/3 innings Wednesday in his major league debut against the Marlins.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)