Aug 24, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Saunders, 31, has a 4.22 ERA and 89/31 K/BB ratio in 130 innings over 21 starts this season and is due to hit free agency this winter. The Diamondbacks enter play this evening at 64-61 on the year, six games behind the Giants in the National League West and 4 1/2 back in the Wild Card, so they are still alive in playoff race, but they could be motivated to move him and give some of their young arms a shot down the stretch. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Orioles have shown the most interest in Saunders.
On a related note, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona tonight that the team will utilize six starters for now, which means Tyler Skaggs will remain in the starting rotation. Skaggs allowed two runs on three hits and five walks over 6 2/3 innings Wednesday in his major league debut against the Marlins.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)