Joey Votto on return timetable: “I don’t think it will be too much longer.”

Aug 24, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT

Joey Votto Getty Getty Images

There’s still no official timetable for Joey Votto‘s return, but the Reds first baseman finally sounds confident that he’ll be back in the lineup fairly soon.

Here’s some of what he told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

I’ve come a long way. I feel like I can’t put day on it. But I feel like I’ve come a long way. I don’t think it will be too much longer.

Votto hasn’t played since undergoing knee surgery in mid-July and required a second “minor” surgery two weeks ago after suffering a setback. He was having an amazing season when he went down, hitting .342 with an NL-leading 1.069 OPS, yet somehow the Reds have gone 26-12 without Votto in the lineup.

1. Fink - Aug 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Somehow? Maybe by having a complete team with each player contributing instead of having bloated contract having prima donna’s who only care about that next paycheck. Stop sounding like ESPN, and being proponents that only NY/LA/BOS teams are worthy of being the best in baseball–you won’t look quite so silly when the post-season rolls around.

Perhaps you haven’t been paying attention, but besides having the ROY and the top two leading Cy Young candidates on the team, the Reds have ripped off win after win by having each member do what they do, and come through in the clutch.

• natslady - Aug 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Ditto. How DO the Nats manage to have the best record in MLB without a 5+ WAR player? Got some admiration for the Reds–and some fear, too. Playing a lot better than the last time we saw yuz.

• Fink - Aug 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Nats are great, it really is too bad Strasburg is getting shut down. I would absolutely LOVE to see Cueto vs. Strasburg in game 1 of the NLCS. Zimmerman is not to be underestimated though, at all. I really like Davey Johnson and the Nats, but not more than the Redlegs!

2. metalhead65 - Aug 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM

good news for reds fans but bad news for ROY Todd Frazier. that means unless rolen’s back starts acting up again then Frazier goes to the bench. no way dusty plays him over rolen except on day games after night ones. it would make sense to play the rookien everyday instead of the fragile vet but not in dusty land.

3. mrredlegz - Aug 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM

You gotta think Joe Votto will make some kind of an appearance during this weekends series with St. Louis. This report makes it seem unlikely, but I gotta feelin’.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS