Aug 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
This is a little different than the Adrian Gonzalez claim. For one thing, the Red Sox may very well just want to be rid of Josh Beckett. The fan base has turned on him and, depending on how much blame you put on him for the clubhouse problems in Boston — probably nowhere near as much as some folks claim, but in Boston everything sucks right now — it’s not like you have to sell the fans on letting him go. The fact that he’s pitched like butt this year makes it easier too. He’s due $35 million through the end of 2014 too, so losing him saves a lot of money.
But it’s also different in that Beckett has 10/5 rights, and a player with 10/5 rights has the right to block waiver claims too. Beckett has given no indication that he’d waive his no-trade protection in the past, although things have gotten way worse in Boston lately so maybe he’s of a different mind about such things now. Added incentive: pitching in the NL West could really help him rebound between now and 2014 when he’ll likely want to cash in on one last big free agency deal.
One final possibility: maybe the Dodgers claim of both Gonzalez and Beckett is the precursor to a gigantic mega-trade/player dump involving the two teams. Again, the Dodgers don’t have that much to offer besides salary relief, but weirder things have happened. I think.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 15
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 53
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)