Aug 24, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
One day after releasing veteran right-handed reliever Juan Cruz the Pirates claimed veteran left-handed reliever Hisanori Takahashi off waivers from the Angels, who basically said “you can have him.”
That means the 37-year-old Takahashi and the remainder of his $4.2 million contract are now Pittsburgh property, and the Pirates will add him to their bullpen after the Angels had stashed him at Triple-A.
Takahashi posted an ugly 4.93 ERA in 42 innings for the Angels before the recent demotion, but also had an excellent 41/10 K/BB ratio and carries a 3.80 ERA in 232 career innings. Considering all the Pirates are responsible for is around $1 million it’s not a bad little pickup, although it’s also no surprise that the Angels were willing to just give him away.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)