Aug 24, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that MLB has suspended Twins right-hander Scott Diamond six games for throwing at Josh Hamilton last night. He was also fined an undisclosed amount. Diamond intends to appeal, but the worst-case scenario is that his next start will be pushed back one or two days. No biggie.
Diamond didn’t actually hit Hamilton last night, but he threw right near his head. It was apparently in response to Roy Oswalt hitting Joe Mauer in the previous half-inning. Home plate umpire Wally Bell likely would have warned both benches if Diamond hit Hamilton in the thigh or something like that, but throwing near his head brought the quick hook. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire stood up for his player and was also tossed, but Bell’s decision was justified.
Here’s the video of the play in question, starting with the Mauer hit-by-pitch:
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86