Aug 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
As is the case with almost every player who makes more than the league minimum, Adrian Gonzalez was placed on waivers by the Red Sox. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have been awarded the waiver claim on Gonzalez.
Which, while interesting, doesn’t necessarily mean anything. August waivers are revocable waivers, and the Sox can pull him back. Or they can negotiate a trade with the Dodgers with the idea that, if they don’t like what the Dodgers are offering, they’ll pull him back. Or, if the Sox simply want rid of Gonzalez, they can let the Dodgers have him for nothing. Well, not nothing: the Dodgers would have to pay the $131 million+ the Sox owe him through 2018. But like I said: interesting. If for no other reason than it shows that the Dodgers are willing to take on huge money if the opportunity presents itself. And that they’re aware of just how putrid James Loney is.
Seems doubtful anything will happen though. While the Red Sox season is sunk, they do have to have someone to play first base in the near future, and they don’t have a lot of options at the ready for that. And the Dodgers don’t seem to have anything of sufficient baseball value to give up to make it worth Boston’s while. Any other team might like out of Gonzalez’s contract, but the Red Sox aren’t exactly hurting for cash.
Worth watching for the next 72 hours or so (which is how long the Sox have to pull him back), but don’t hold your breath.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting 0
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 78
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)