Aug 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
As is the case with almost every player who makes more than the league minimum, Adrian Gonzalez was placed on waivers by the Red Sox. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have been awarded the waiver claim on Gonzalez.
Which, while interesting, doesn’t necessarily mean anything. August waivers are revocable waivers, and the Sox can pull him back. Or they can negotiate a trade with the Dodgers with the idea that, if they don’t like what the Dodgers are offering, they’ll pull him back. Or, if the Sox simply want rid of Gonzalez, they can let the Dodgers have him for nothing. Well, not nothing: the Dodgers would have to pay the $131 million+ the Sox owe him through 2018. But like I said: interesting. If for no other reason than it shows that the Dodgers are willing to take on huge money if the opportunity presents itself. And that they’re aware of just how putrid James Loney is.
Seems doubtful anything will happen though. While the Red Sox season is sunk, they do have to have someone to play first base in the near future, and they don’t have a lot of options at the ready for that. And the Dodgers don’t seem to have anything of sufficient baseball value to give up to make it worth Boston’s while. Any other team might like out of Gonzalez’s contract, but the Red Sox aren’t exactly hurting for cash.
Worth watching for the next 72 hours or so (which is how long the Sox have to pull him back), but don’t hold your breath.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 51
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)