Aug 24, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Uniform arguments are always fun. Every couple of years I take a look back at the best and worst uniforms of all time and it never fails to make people talk, be it good, bad, nostalgic, angry or whatever. Uniforms just matter to baseball fans.
Paul Lukas of Uni Watch has made a career out of the uniform criticism game, and this week he’s been rating the uniforms of all of the teams from all of the major sports. Today he breaks out the baseball unis and rates them 1-30. And there are some surprises in there.
First surprise: seeing the most classic uniform of them all — the Yankees — ranked fourth, behind one of the least classic looking teams, the Athletics. Which, OK, I can see that appealing to some people, but I’m sorry, if you wear white shoes you shouldn’t crack the top ten. The A’s shoes make them look like guys wearing dad jeans and gleaming white New Balance shoes at the mall on Saturday.
There are some other surprises in there too. And outrages. The Tigers are ninth? Based on an arguably too-small cap logo? Please. Nothing looks better than the Tigers in their home uniforms and I refuse to be persuaded otherwise.
OK, sorry. See what I mean, though? Ranking uniforms can stir people up.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (241)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)