Aug 24, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Uniform arguments are always fun. Every couple of years I take a look back at the best and worst uniforms of all time and it never fails to make people talk, be it good, bad, nostalgic, angry or whatever. Uniforms just matter to baseball fans.
Paul Lukas of Uni Watch has made a career out of the uniform criticism game, and this week he’s been rating the uniforms of all of the teams from all of the major sports. Today he breaks out the baseball unis and rates them 1-30. And there are some surprises in there.
First surprise: seeing the most classic uniform of them all — the Yankees — ranked fourth, behind one of the least classic looking teams, the Athletics. Which, OK, I can see that appealing to some people, but I’m sorry, if you wear white shoes you shouldn’t crack the top ten. The A’s shoes make them look like guys wearing dad jeans and gleaming white New Balance shoes at the mall on Saturday.
There are some other surprises in there too. And outrages. The Tigers are ninth? Based on an arguably too-small cap logo? Please. Nothing looks better than the Tigers in their home uniforms and I refuse to be persuaded otherwise.
OK, sorry. See what I mean, though? Ranking uniforms can stir people up.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)