Aug 24, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Uniform arguments are always fun. Every couple of years I take a look back at the best and worst uniforms of all time and it never fails to make people talk, be it good, bad, nostalgic, angry or whatever. Uniforms just matter to baseball fans.
Paul Lukas of Uni Watch has made a career out of the uniform criticism game, and this week he’s been rating the uniforms of all of the teams from all of the major sports. Today he breaks out the baseball unis and rates them 1-30. And there are some surprises in there.
First surprise: seeing the most classic uniform of them all — the Yankees — ranked fourth, behind one of the least classic looking teams, the Athletics. Which, OK, I can see that appealing to some people, but I’m sorry, if you wear white shoes you shouldn’t crack the top ten. The A’s shoes make them look like guys wearing dad jeans and gleaming white New Balance shoes at the mall on Saturday.
There are some other surprises in there too. And outrages. The Tigers are ninth? Based on an arguably too-small cap logo? Please. Nothing looks better than the Tigers in their home uniforms and I refuse to be persuaded otherwise.
OK, sorry. See what I mean, though? Ranking uniforms can stir people up.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination