What players talk about when they talk on the field

Aug 24, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder and St. Louis Cardinals' Albert Pujols talk at first base during the 8th inning of Game 6 of the MLB NLCS baseball playoffs in Milwaukee

James Wagner of the Washington Post has a story up about what players are talking about out there, even if they’re not supposed to be talking to each other in the first place due to those archaic fraternization rules:

“You’re talking to a guy that’s been around so I pretty much know everybody,” [Chiper] Jones said. “I can strike up a conversation with just about anybody out there.”

Except they don’t know what the hell he’s talking about, what with all of those Yicketties and Mammos.

Seriously, though, fun stuff. It reminds you that, even though these guys compete hard, they all have more in common with each other than they do with people not in the game.

1. elmaquino - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM

“I’m totally out of here after this year.”

“Oh, me too, man.”

2. unlost1 - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM

“Isn’t it great to be millionares even if we lose 10-0? Haha, even the worst player in baseball makes more than the most successful guy in the real world!”

• paperlions - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Because the game that is economics is somehow more “real” than baseball? Most people with “real” jobs perform functions that support a bloated economic or legal system that is no more necessary than baseball.

• shaggylocks - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM

The worst player in the major leagues is still a really really really good baseball player, BTW…

• jahwerb - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Not always really really good. Sometimes they are their just for potential or athleticism. Sometimes they never capitalize on said potential or athleticism. For example Felix Pie. He was very athletic and was said to be a great prospect. He played terrible left field (worse than outfielders on my American Legion team played). He ran the bases like a little leaguer. He was fast and could hit a little but nowhere close to a really really good baseball player. He was there because of potential but that meant he had to spend time learning how to run the bases and track flyballs.

3. shaggylocks - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Just a heads up: the link takes you to the second page of the article. Might want to fix that.

4. acdc363 - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Man I’ve always wanted to get in on the conversations these guys have when they’re on first or second or just on the field. I wish they could mic them up like they do in basketball and football!

5. sportsdrenched - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Don’t let Rex Hudler or Ned Yost hear about this!

6. tuftsb - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Jack Elliot: [to an opposing Japanese player] Got any naked pictures of your wife?… Wanna see some?
    [player ignores him]
    Jack Elliot: Never mind.

———————–

Jack Elliot: You got any naked pictures of your wife?
    Billy Stevens: No, but I got some of yours.

7. pauleee - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Chiper!! I’m soooo using that!

8. stex52 - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Used to llove watching Berkman do that at Houston. Everyone who ever got to first was his best friend. Sometimes I think he did it to distract them.

9. Francisco (FC) - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I remember an old TV commercial Mike Schmidt did (I think it was for insurance ) and it was basically some banter between him and the runner on third while fielding a series of a pick off throws (BTW I’ve never seen any pitcher throw to third with that kind of frequency, I’m pretty sure the rest of stadium was pissed off at the pitcher). At the end of it Mike mimed throwing the ball back to the pitcher but actually tucked it into his glove and managed to get the runner to step off the bag for a moment to “clean it up”. He got the out. Pretty funny but of course never would have happened in real life.

10. bcopus - Aug 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Yickety sounds like a speech tic. Did you yickety see that yickety catch yickety?

11. groundruledoublebourbon - Aug 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I finished up college ball a couple of years ago. Yickety and Mammo are synonymous with home run (along with bomb, dong, dick, yack, jack, and – yes – tankjob).

I will now remove myself from your yard, Mr. Craig.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate