Aug 25, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
Here’s an interesting note as we wait for the mega-deal between the Red Sox and Dodgers to become official.
According to Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Padres are expected to call up prospect right-hander Casey Kelly to make his major league debut Monday against the Braves at PETCO Park. Of course, Kelly was acquired along with Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and Eric Patterson in December of 2010 in the deal that sent Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox.
Kelly hasn’t pitched much this season due to a right elbow strain, but he has a 3.78 ERA and 18/3 K/BB ratio in 16 2/3 innings over three starts since returning to action with Double-A San Antonio. The 22-year-old owns a 3.78 ERA over his first 73 pro starts and has averaged 7.3 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9. If added to the rotation, he will be the 15th pitcher to start a game for the Padres this season.
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)