Aug 25, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
It’s only natural for teams to accentuate the positive after a trade in order to instill some confidence in their fanbase, but this is a little much.
According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said the following when asked about the pending blockbuster trade with the Dodgers.
“Hopefully this deal will go through today. If it falls into place, the deal sheds us from tens of millions of dollars of long-term commitments. It gets us great prospects who will improve our major league roster as soon as next year. It brings us a player in James Loney who was ‘untouchable’ a couple of years ago. It allows us to start over with free agents. We want to win for our fans and we now have huge financial flexibility to improve the team.”
Yes, the same James Loney who has four home runs in 359 plate appearances this year and hasn’t posted an OPS higher than .756 since he appeared in 96 games as a 23-year-old in 2007. I’m pretty sure Brandon Wood and Lastings Milledge were untouchable back then, too. When are they coming to Fenway?
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)