Aug 25, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
He had to wait a while, but Tony DeFrancesco finally has his first win as a major league manager, as the Astros topped the Mets 3-1 last night at Citi Field. DeFrancesco managed 17 years in the minors before taking over for Brad Mills last Sunday and was 0-4 as interim manager going into last night’s game.
Jordan Lyles tossed six innings of one-run ball in the win and also chipped in with an RBI double. Tyler Greene, who was recently acquired from the Cardinals, hit his third homer in 12 games as a member of the Astros.
It was a pretty special night for DeFrancesco, who grew up in the Bronx and went to Seton Hall. He had plenty of family and friends in attendance at Citi Field, including his parents.
Here’s video of a post-game toast in the visiting manager’s office, courtesy of Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle:
Pretty cool stuff. Last night’s win was just the eighth for the Astros in their last 51 games. As our own Aaron Gleeman noted last night, the Astros are amazingly 4-0 against the Mets this season and 36-86 against everyone else. In other words, the Mets make up 10 percent of their wins this season. LOLMets lives on.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games