Aug 25, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
He had to wait a while, but Tony DeFrancesco finally has his first win as a major league manager, as the Astros topped the Mets 3-1 last night at Citi Field. DeFrancesco managed 17 years in the minors before taking over for Brad Mills last Sunday and was 0-4 as interim manager going into last night’s game.
Jordan Lyles tossed six innings of one-run ball in the win and also chipped in with an RBI double. Tyler Greene, who was recently acquired from the Cardinals, hit his third homer in 12 games as a member of the Astros.
It was a pretty special night for DeFrancesco, who grew up in the Bronx and went to Seton Hall. He had plenty of family and friends in attendance at Citi Field, including his parents.
Here’s video of a post-game toast in the visiting manager’s office, courtesy of Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle:
Pretty cool stuff. Last night’s win was just the eighth for the Astros in their last 51 games. As our own Aaron Gleeman noted last night, the Astros are amazingly 4-0 against the Mets this season and 36-86 against everyone else. In other words, the Mets make up 10 percent of their wins this season. LOLMets lives on.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)