Aug 25, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
He had to wait a while, but Tony DeFrancesco finally has his first win as a major league manager, as the Astros topped the Mets 3-1 last night at Citi Field. DeFrancesco managed 17 years in the minors before taking over for Brad Mills last Sunday and was 0-4 as interim manager going into last night’s game.
Jordan Lyles tossed six innings of one-run ball in the win and also chipped in with an RBI double. Tyler Greene, who was recently acquired from the Cardinals, hit his third homer in 12 games as a member of the Astros.
It was a pretty special night for DeFrancesco, who grew up in the Bronx and went to Seton Hall. He had plenty of family and friends in attendance at Citi Field, including his parents.
Here’s video of a post-game toast in the visiting manager’s office, courtesy of Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle:
Pretty cool stuff. Last night’s win was just the eighth for the Astros in their last 51 games. As our own Aaron Gleeman noted last night, the Astros are amazingly 4-0 against the Mets this season and 36-86 against everyone else. In other words, the Mets make up 10 percent of their wins this season. LOLMets lives on.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)