Aug 25, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Troy Tulowitzki began a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Tulsa last night and went 1-for-3 with a double while playing five innings at shortstop. It was his first game action since aggravating a groin injury in a rehab game on June 13 and undergoing surgery.
Tulowitzki is expected to get the day off today, but the plan calls for him to play five innings Sunday and five to seven innings on Monday. He’ll return to Denver on Tuesday to be re-evaluated, but his rehab assignment will move to Triple-A Colorado Springs from there. Tulowitzki wants to play down the stretch in order to have some peace of mind going into the winter, but he isn’t expected to rejoin the Rockies until the Triple-A season comes to an end in early September.
Tulowitzki, 27, was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight home runs, 27 RBI and an .846 OPS in 47 games prior to the injury. Josh Rutledge has been the primary fill-in at shortstop, but assuming he gets over his recent quad injury, he’ll slide over to second base when Tulowitzki returns.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)