Aug 25, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Troy Tulowitzki began a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Tulsa last night and went 1-for-3 with a double while playing five innings at shortstop. It was his first game action since aggravating a groin injury in a rehab game on June 13 and undergoing surgery.
Tulowitzki is expected to get the day off today, but the plan calls for him to play five innings Sunday and five to seven innings on Monday. He’ll return to Denver on Tuesday to be re-evaluated, but his rehab assignment will move to Triple-A Colorado Springs from there. Tulowitzki wants to play down the stretch in order to have some peace of mind going into the winter, but he isn’t expected to rejoin the Rockies until the Triple-A season comes to an end in early September.
Tulowitzki, 27, was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight home runs, 27 RBI and an .846 OPS in 47 games prior to the injury. Josh Rutledge has been the primary fill-in at shortstop, but assuming he gets over his recent quad injury, he’ll slide over to second base when Tulowitzki returns.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)