Aug 25, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Troy Tulowitzki began a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Tulsa last night and went 1-for-3 with a double while playing five innings at shortstop. It was his first game action since aggravating a groin injury in a rehab game on June 13 and undergoing surgery.
Tulowitzki is expected to get the day off today, but the plan calls for him to play five innings Sunday and five to seven innings on Monday. He’ll return to Denver on Tuesday to be re-evaluated, but his rehab assignment will move to Triple-A Colorado Springs from there. Tulowitzki wants to play down the stretch in order to have some peace of mind going into the winter, but he isn’t expected to rejoin the Rockies until the Triple-A season comes to an end in early September.
Tulowitzki, 27, was hitting .287/.360/.486 with eight home runs, 27 RBI and an .846 OPS in 47 games prior to the injury. Josh Rutledge has been the primary fill-in at shortstop, but assuming he gets over his recent quad injury, he’ll slide over to second base when Tulowitzki returns.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)