Aug 25, 2012, 12:08 AM EDT
It looked like Mariners right fielder Eric Thames managed to grab Paul Konerko‘s fly to deep right-center with one out in the ninth inning tonight. Alas, that all changed when center fielder Michael Saunders plowed into him, giving the White Sox a 9-8 win.
The game was tied at 8 before Dewayne Wise came around from second to score on the play. Konerko was credited with a walkoff single, and the Mariners lost despite a furious comeback that saw them score six runs in the top of the ninth to take an 8-7 lead.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)