Aug 25, 2012, 12:08 AM EST
It looked like Mariners right fielder Eric Thames managed to grab Paul Konerko‘s fly to deep right-center with one out in the ninth inning tonight. Alas, that all changed when center fielder Michael Saunders plowed into him, giving the White Sox a 9-8 win.
The game was tied at 8 before Dewayne Wise came around from second to score on the play. Konerko was credited with a walkoff single, and the Mariners lost despite a furious comeback that saw them score six runs in the top of the ninth to take an 8-7 lead.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 15
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 44
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 5
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 33
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)