Aug 25, 2012, 12:08 AM EDT
It looked like Mariners right fielder Eric Thames managed to grab Paul Konerko‘s fly to deep right-center with one out in the ninth inning tonight. Alas, that all changed when center fielder Michael Saunders plowed into him, giving the White Sox a 9-8 win.
The game was tied at 8 before Dewayne Wise came around from second to score on the play. Konerko was credited with a walkoff single, and the Mariners lost despite a furious comeback that saw them score six runs in the top of the ninth to take an 8-7 lead.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)