Aug 26, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Thanks to Mike Petraglia of WEEI.com, we now have more details about what exactly took place:
According to three sources inside Fenway Park, Alfredo Aceves tore off his jersey while making his way from the bullpen back to the clubhouse in the moments after Boston’s 4-3 win over the Royals Friday night. The game was saved by Andrew Bailey one night after Aceves allowed six hits and five runs and blew his third save in five chances.
Aceves then barged into manager Bobby Valentine’s office and requested a meeting with GM Ben Cherington. But Cherington was busy working out the details of that nine-player blockbuster, so the request was denied.
“I’m a little disappointed,” Bobby V told reporters on Saturday after the three-game suspension was announced. “You’ve just got to know the difference between right and wrong. That’s all we ask.”
Aceves has registered a 4.60 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 57/23 K/BB ratio across 62 2/3 innings this season for the fourth-place Red Sox, converting 25 saves in 32 opportunities. Bailey, meanwhile, has a 2.08 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP and a 4/1 K/BB ratio in 4 1/3 innings since returning from the disabled list. Friday’s save was his first.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)