Aug 26, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Thanks to Mike Petraglia of WEEI.com, we now have more details about what exactly took place:
According to three sources inside Fenway Park, Alfredo Aceves tore off his jersey while making his way from the bullpen back to the clubhouse in the moments after Boston’s 4-3 win over the Royals Friday night. The game was saved by Andrew Bailey one night after Aceves allowed six hits and five runs and blew his third save in five chances.
Aceves then barged into manager Bobby Valentine’s office and requested a meeting with GM Ben Cherington. But Cherington was busy working out the details of that nine-player blockbuster, so the request was denied.
“I’m a little disappointed,” Bobby V told reporters on Saturday after the three-game suspension was announced. “You’ve just got to know the difference between right and wrong. That’s all we ask.”
Aceves has registered a 4.60 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 57/23 K/BB ratio across 62 2/3 innings this season for the fourth-place Red Sox, converting 25 saves in 32 opportunities. Bailey, meanwhile, has a 2.08 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP and a 4/1 K/BB ratio in 4 1/3 innings since returning from the disabled list. Friday’s save was his first.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 6
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 31
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 32
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 109
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (110)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)