Aug 26, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Thanks to Mike Petraglia of WEEI.com, we now have more details about what exactly took place:
According to three sources inside Fenway Park, Alfredo Aceves tore off his jersey while making his way from the bullpen back to the clubhouse in the moments after Boston’s 4-3 win over the Royals Friday night. The game was saved by Andrew Bailey one night after Aceves allowed six hits and five runs and blew his third save in five chances.
Aceves then barged into manager Bobby Valentine’s office and requested a meeting with GM Ben Cherington. But Cherington was busy working out the details of that nine-player blockbuster, so the request was denied.
“I’m a little disappointed,” Bobby V told reporters on Saturday after the three-game suspension was announced. “You’ve just got to know the difference between right and wrong. That’s all we ask.”
Aceves has registered a 4.60 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 57/23 K/BB ratio across 62 2/3 innings this season for the fourth-place Red Sox, converting 25 saves in 32 opportunities. Bailey, meanwhile, has a 2.08 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP and a 4/1 K/BB ratio in 4 1/3 innings since returning from the disabled list. Friday’s save was his first.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)