Aug 26, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Thanks to Mike Petraglia of WEEI.com, we now have more details about what exactly took place:
According to three sources inside Fenway Park, Alfredo Aceves tore off his jersey while making his way from the bullpen back to the clubhouse in the moments after Boston’s 4-3 win over the Royals Friday night. The game was saved by Andrew Bailey one night after Aceves allowed six hits and five runs and blew his third save in five chances.
Aceves then barged into manager Bobby Valentine’s office and requested a meeting with GM Ben Cherington. But Cherington was busy working out the details of that nine-player blockbuster, so the request was denied.
“I’m a little disappointed,” Bobby V told reporters on Saturday after the three-game suspension was announced. “You’ve just got to know the difference between right and wrong. That’s all we ask.”
Aceves has registered a 4.60 ERA, 1.24 WHIP and 57/23 K/BB ratio across 62 2/3 innings this season for the fourth-place Red Sox, converting 25 saves in 32 opportunities. Bailey, meanwhile, has a 2.08 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP and a 4/1 K/BB ratio in 4 1/3 innings since returning from the disabled list. Friday’s save was his first.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)