Aug 26, 2012, 7:29 PM EST
Bobby Valentine said after Sunday’s game that David Ortiz will likely go back on the disabled list Monday due to continued soreness in his right Achilles’ tendon.
“It’s likely that if he doesn’t have a real miraculous recovery tonight, we’ll have a DL situation tomorrow,” Valentine said in his postgame press conference.
Valentine didn’t rule out Ortiz returning in September even if he goes on the disabled list now. The Red Sox wouldn’t have much reason to bring him back, but Big Papi might want to return rather than finish the season on the DL as he tries to score a multiyear contract in free agency.
Here are Valentine’s comments on the matter:
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 16
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 49
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)