Aug 26, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine said after Sunday’s game that David Ortiz will likely go back on the disabled list Monday due to continued soreness in his right Achilles’ tendon.
“It’s likely that if he doesn’t have a real miraculous recovery tonight, we’ll have a DL situation tomorrow,” Valentine said in his postgame press conference.
Valentine didn’t rule out Ortiz returning in September even if he goes on the disabled list now. The Red Sox wouldn’t have much reason to bring him back, but Big Papi might want to return rather than finish the season on the DL as he tries to score a multiyear contract in free agency.
Here are Valentine’s comments on the matter:
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 8
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 15
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 82
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8