Aug 26, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine said after Sunday’s game that David Ortiz will likely go back on the disabled list Monday due to continued soreness in his right Achilles’ tendon.
“It’s likely that if he doesn’t have a real miraculous recovery tonight, we’ll have a DL situation tomorrow,” Valentine said in his postgame press conference.
Valentine didn’t rule out Ortiz returning in September even if he goes on the disabled list now. The Red Sox wouldn’t have much reason to bring him back, but Big Papi might want to return rather than finish the season on the DL as he tries to score a multiyear contract in free agency.
Here are Valentine’s comments on the matter:
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 71
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)