Aug 26, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
As first reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Orioles have acquired lefty starter Joe Saunders in a waiver trade from Arizona. Matt Lindstrom, a right-handed reliever, is headed to the Diamondbacks in return along with a player to be named later.
Saunders passed through waivers on Friday and was at that point eligible to be dealt to any team. The 31-year-old has posted a decent 4.22 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 130 innings this season, but the D’Backs have a number of young arms in their system and did well to land a reliable setup man in their return package from the O’s.
Lindstrom, 32, registered a 2.72 ERA and 1.29 WHIP across 36 1/3 innings this year for Baltimore.
Saunders will be eligible for free agency this offseason. He’s earning $6 million in his final year of arbitration.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 37
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105