Aug 26, 2012, 12:26 PM EST
As first reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Orioles have acquired lefty starter Joe Saunders in a waiver trade from Arizona. Matt Lindstrom, a right-handed reliever, is headed to the Diamondbacks in return along with a player to be named later.
Saunders passed through waivers on Friday and was at that point eligible to be dealt to any team. The 31-year-old has posted a decent 4.22 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 130 innings this season, but the D’Backs have a number of young arms in their system and did well to land a reliable setup man in their return package from the O’s.
Lindstrom, 32, registered a 2.72 ERA and 1.29 WHIP across 36 1/3 innings this year for Baltimore.
Saunders will be eligible for free agency this offseason. He’s earning $6 million in his final year of arbitration.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)