Aug 26, 2012, 12:26 PM EST
As first reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Orioles have acquired lefty starter Joe Saunders in a waiver trade from Arizona. Matt Lindstrom, a right-handed reliever, is headed to the Diamondbacks in return along with a player to be named later.
Saunders passed through waivers on Friday and was at that point eligible to be dealt to any team. The 31-year-old has posted a decent 4.22 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 130 innings this season, but the D’Backs have a number of young arms in their system and did well to land a reliable setup man in their return package from the O’s.
Lindstrom, 32, registered a 2.72 ERA and 1.29 WHIP across 36 1/3 innings this year for Baltimore.
Saunders will be eligible for free agency this offseason. He’s earning $6 million in his final year of arbitration.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)