Aug 26, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
As first reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Orioles have acquired lefty starter Joe Saunders in a waiver trade from Arizona. Matt Lindstrom, a right-handed reliever, is headed to the Diamondbacks in return along with a player to be named later.
Saunders passed through waivers on Friday and was at that point eligible to be dealt to any team. The 31-year-old has posted a decent 4.22 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 130 innings this season, but the D’Backs have a number of young arms in their system and did well to land a reliable setup man in their return package from the O’s.
Lindstrom, 32, registered a 2.72 ERA and 1.29 WHIP across 36 1/3 innings this year for Baltimore.
Saunders will be eligible for free agency this offseason. He’s earning $6 million in his final year of arbitration.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)