Red Sox may be nearing an extension with Cody Ross

Aug 26, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT

cody ross red sox getty Getty Images

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported last Sunday that the Red Sox were “very interested” in re-signing impending free agent outfielder Cody Ross.

And now it seems that progress has been made.

According to beat writer Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Red Sox have informed Ross directly that they want him back and a contract extension could be finalized before the end of the season.

Ross, 31, signed a bargain one-year, $3 million deal this past winter. He’s currently batting .276/.339/.520 with 19 home runs, 26 doubles and 63 RBI through 388 plate appearances.

Cafardo suggested last week that Ross could seek a contract in the area of three years and $21 million.

1. teaspoon1731 - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

So they’ve learned nothing from previous mistakes?

• paperlions - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I think they have….because Ross would represent a low risk extension…if they pay him $21M for 3 years…it is likely they’ll get their money’s worth….the wall in Fenway was made for his swing (20 2B and 13 HR at home with only 6 of each on the road)….relatively short term and modest money for a starting OF.

• kcloutier - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Finally, the Red Sox may reward a player already on the team and keep him. Usually they shit on a guy, run him out of town and sign a stranger and hope they are better at a higher price.

2. tfbuckfutter - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Stupid stupid stupid. I KNEW this was going to happen.

A guy who has a career year at 31 on a one year contract WILL NOT DUPLICATE IT.

You’re about to pay $7 million for a guy who is going to post OPS+es of around 100-105 for the duration of the contract. Aka an AVERAGE player.

• paperlions - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM

…and $7M for an average player is actually not a bad deal…and Ross isn’t having a career year, his swing is perfect for Fenway, he should continue to put up great HR and 2B numbers in that park.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

He is OPSing .859. That does, in fact, represent his best season when he has played more than 100 games.

I just don’t think it’s wise to pay a guy on the wrong side of thirty after he posts a career year on a prove it deal as though he’s going to continue to produce as he did in that one year deal as opposed to regressing to his career norms.

• paperlions - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Yes, but he is only have a “career year” within the context of abusing the green monster. On the road, he’s actually been worse than his career averages. Is there a reason to think a guy with his swing/power won’t continue to put balls off and over that wall?

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Even if you’re right….I’m really not sure arguing that $7 million for a guy who is absolutely terrible in road games, which make up 50% of the schedule, is a good deal is a particularly good position to take.

• paperlions - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM

It wouldn’t be a “bad” deal. The worst that can happen is you blow $21M over 3 years, which isn’t a big deal for their budget….and if he is terrible on the road, he is fantastic at home….and that counts too.

It is just a low risk deal within the context of today’s markets.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM

That’s not really true though.

The worst that happens is that he’s terrible on the road and average (or even worse, terrible at home too), and they blow $22 million AND he keeps playing because they rely on him and convince themselves he’ll revert to 2012 form, so we’re stuck watching him stink it up (theoretically) for two to two and a half seasons.

Come on, you’re obviously a Red Sox fan too, and you know that’s how it works. It’s how we ended up with Jose Offerman playing 1st base for crying out loud. 2 crappy years of Troy O’Leary.

The organization doesn’t cut bait soon enough.

• paperlions - Aug 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Will that be so awful? It isn’t like they have much hope of truly contending the next couple of years anyway.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Of course they do. They have plenty of payroll flexibility now.

The contended last year and all they’ve really lost between 2011’s contender and 2013’s opening day is Gonzalez (big loss), Beckett (who wasn’t contributing anyway), Crawford (who wasn’t contributing even in 2011), Youkilis (Big loss, but Middlebrooks may be a solid replacement) Scutaro (Easily replaceable, just not with Mike Aviles) and JD Drew (who sucked).

Maybe they lose Ortiz, maybe not, but if Ellsbury and Pedroia return to form, and Lackey actually turns in at least an average performance they have the flexibility to add a few positive pieces as opposed to stopgap turds like Ryan Sweeney.

And I will admit, Cody Ross may be a decent offer depending on how free agency and trade market shapes up….BUT I don’t expect him to repeat this season. I still think the team has the core to be a contender though.

Maybe next year, but if they actually do NEXT year what they should have done THIS year (i.e. not signing stopgaps and trading for terrible players who are already done in an effort to make a run they weren’t built to make) and use it to season some youngsters and build a solid nucleus, then they can definitely contend in 2014.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 26, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Should have proofread….Cody Ross may be a decent OPTION….

And when I refer to Youkilis being a “big loss”, I am referring to his overall production from 2011 (the first half anyway) compared to him not being there in 2013.

And if you don’t think you’re contending, why pay Cody Ross $7 million when you can run someone from AAA out there every day for the minimum and maybe find a prospect?

• mickeylolich1968 - Aug 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Three X seven for an average player who is not a total A**HOLE would be a step in the right direction.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Heh….I found a 1963 Tigers autographed baseball in an attic a few years ago (I know it’s a ’63 because it has Whitey Herzog’s signature) and Mickey Lolich is one of the signatures on it.

In fact, the only significant missing signature is Denny McLain.

• mickeylolich1968 - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Cool stuff. Actually I was only four yrs old in ’68 so I don’t remember any of it. However, growing up in Detroit the ’68 series is all I ever heard about. I moved to New england in ’78 and became a sox fan on the final day of the ’78 season. Seriously, first day rooting for the sox, Bucky F****** Dent. Bang. Welcome to the club.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Quite a bit younger than you, but I grew up in New England but moved when I was 12…..

One of my first memories was my parents buying a HUGE 27″ TV for their Patriots Super Bowl party in ’86.

Still have my pennant.

• mickeylolich1968 - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I remember that day. Walter Payton fumbles and the Pats are up 3-0…
        I’ve been a Pats fan and a Lions fan as long as I can remember. Never been a conflict because they have never been good at the same time.

3. sisqsage - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Take it from a Giants fan who suffered through a maddening 2011 with Ross: He never has two good years in a row. 2010 was great, but he and a few other veterans were big reasons why their offense stunk and kept them out of last year’s wildcard.

4. kiwicricket - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I hope they scan his right elbow first. That doesn’t look normal.

• cur68 - Aug 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Its reasonably normal, I think. There’s a hollow in the distal base of the humerus, the bone that makes up the upper arm. That little hollow acts like a stopper for the radius bone of the forearm when the arm is fully extended. Its can be very deep in a given individual. The condition is known as, I think, “Cubitus Recurvatum” and means “hyperextension of the elbow”. Take this with a grain of salt: I’m vague on the details because its not really an injury but more a variation of normal. Some people can just straighten their arms past 180 degrees is all. Providing there’s no pain and the elbow doesn’t pop out of place, meh, he’s fine.

5. roverboy1949 - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

$7mil/year for Ross is a fair deal. He already earned more than they paid him for this year. Re-sign JE to a long term deal, bring in another bat(maybe Hamilton, Swisher,Upton, or even Reynolds) and push hard for a #1 or #2 pitcher, and there back in business.

• lardin - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM

There are no number one or two starters availavle

6. professor30 - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM

3 years 15 mil. max, anything more than that is a bad deal for the sox, even though i like the way he plays the game, he’s a gamer.

• teaspoon1731 - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM

That’s what I’m saying! I don’t think resigning Cody is a bad idea. I just think that’s too much money. Not like ‘omg what are they thinkin?!’ too much, but too much none the less.

7. foolmaker - Aug 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

2yr/12 million would make more sense. Ross is a below average player anywhere other than Fenway. The Red Sox do have a massive payroll, but that doesn’t mean they should dedicate 21 million to him.

8. raklaw - Aug 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Hey Sox you freed up close to half a billion dollars I say use it all to lock up Cody. Thirty million a year for the next 15 years is a smokin deal!!! Yours truly – Jeter’s best bud – Skip Brainless.

9. uyf1950 - Aug 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I see fans here discussing the merits of the Red Sox extending Ross for what the piece says could be in the area of 3 years $21MM. There are goods point on both sides. I just want to mention one thing that I think may be being overlooked here as it relates to the Red Sox.

It’s not beyond the realm of possibilities that the Red Sox will have difficulty attracting FA’s in the next year or 2 with lets be honest all the goings on there. So this maybe their way of insuring they have a least one decent FA to be locked up. Just my opinion.

10. j0esixpack - Aug 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM

This is a low cost low risk move for the Sox and furthermore sends a message to other players that those who can be productive and show the right attitude get rewarded.

That alone is worthy slightly overpaying for.

11. Jack Marshall - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Gonzalez is not a”big loss” at his salary—not with his lack of homers and reduced OBA combined with his blase attitude since, you know, it’s all God’s plan. Good riddance. He sucked the intensity right out of the team.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3678)