Aug 26, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
And now it seems that progress has been made.
According to beat writer Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Red Sox have informed Ross directly that they want him back and a contract extension could be finalized before the end of the season.
Ross, 31, signed a bargain one-year, $3 million deal this past winter. He’s currently batting .276/.339/.520 with 19 home runs, 26 doubles and 63 RBI through 388 plate appearances.
Cafardo suggested last week that Ross could seek a contract in the area of three years and $21 million.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)