Vin Scully will call Dodgers games next season

Aug 26, 2012, 9:18 AM EST

scully ap AP

Dodgers fans are having one heck of a weekend.

First there was the nine-player trade that brought over Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto from Boston. And now … well … this is probably the best news item of all.

Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that television broadcaster Vin Scully will return to the booth in 2013 for his 64th season of play-by-play.

Scully, 84, has considered calling it a career after each of the past couple seasons, but Shaikin says he’s “healthy” and “energized by the Dodgers’ new ownership group,” which has changed the feel of the franchise in mere weeks. Scully began calling Dodgers games in 1950, before the move from Brooklyn.

1. missthemexpos - Aug 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The Dodgers taking on the salaries of the players from Boston : 271 Million dollars The Dodgers having Vin Scully calling the games for another season : PRICELESS

• christos99 - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Tim. McCarver… No fan base has had it as bad as the Mets…

2. Lukehart80 - Aug 26, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I think MLB should insist that Scully broadcast EVERY team’s games. It isn’t fair that Dodger fans get Vin while the rest of the country suffers through the likes of Hawk Harrelson.

• willclarkgameface - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM

And Don Orsillo. For the love of God, please let the Red Sox fire Don Orsillo or send him in a 2 broadcaster deal to Kansas City. Yep, I’d gladly take Rex Hudler and Steve Physioc over Rem Dog and Don “Hey, Don’t I Sound Like Sean McDonough, the guy that was here before me?” Orsillo.

• royalsfaninfargo - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM

• royalsfaninfargo - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

And Rex Hudler. I dont like the Dodgers but I like to listen to Vin Scully call games. Thank you MLB.TV

3. raysfan1 - Aug 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM

It will be a sad day when he finally steps away from the mic for the last time. Real happy that time is not yet.

4. sincitybonobo - Aug 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Vin Scully is a national treasure. He is a gifted communicator whose talent, class and knowledge have been enhancing our great game since the Dodgers called Brooklyn home.

Since I moved to Las Vegas in 2004, I’ve had a chance to hear him call dozens of games per season and my appreciation for what he does has only grown. He’s paid by the Dodgers, but he is an honest broker when it comes to painting an accurate picture for the listener or viewer.

The first thing I pack for trips to Dodger Stadium is my portable radio. I’m almost 50 years younger than Vin and I really do appreciate that his career and my interest in baseball have overlapped.

“Hi, Everybody! And a very pleasant good evening to you- wherever you may be…”

• Matt S - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It amazes me that people would vote down a comment like that. Well said, sincitybonobo! I’m a Giants fan who admires Vin as a national treasure, and as others have said it’ll be a sad day when he officially retires from the booth.

• ron05342 - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Jon Miller, an outstanding announcer in his own right (Giants), also does a great Vin Scully impression…not only in English, but in Japanese and Spanish as well…check this out.

• cur68 - Aug 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Ron, that was GREAT. I had no idea Miller did impressions of Vin. And in 3 languages yet!

5. townballblog - Aug 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Fantastic stuff. I loved last night when talking about A-Gon’s second at-bat (paraphrasing): “he was having a good year in Boston. And now here he is, a dodger, batting 1000 with a HR and 3 RBI.” That was great.

6. riverace19 - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Simply the best with props also given to Bob Uecker… Scully is a Rolls Royce in the booth

7. florida76 - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Vin Scully is a legend, and good to hear he’s back for 2013. That being said, Scully would be the first to admit he’s not as sharp at 84 as he was at 64. Harry Caray, Jack Buck, and Pat Summerall, are examples of announcers who hung around too long, so it would behoove Scully to walk away while still performing at a high level. One of the sad memories Buck left us with near the end was being unaware of baserunners during the NLCS of the early 90s. It was the type of repeated error one would expect from a 18 year first time broadcaster, not a HOF annouver.

• cosanostra71 - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Vin is as sharp as ever…

• Matt S - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM

He isn’t. I have listened to Scully broadcast games over a period of about 25 years, and he’s certainly lost a step (so to speak). That said, he’s still better than just about anybody else and there’s no reason for him to step away before he wants. The fact that an 84 year old man isn’t as sharp as a 64 year old man doesn’t diminish Vin in any way- it’s simply an inescapable fact of human nature.

• lanflfan - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:02 PM

He misses things from time to time, but Vin is still better than 98% of the other announcers out there. I hope my mind is that sharp at 84.

8. giantssb42champs - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I love Vin. Best ever.

• chumthumper - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Vin Scully didn’t set the bar high. He IS the bar.

9. jimsjam33 - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Chick Hearn and Vin Sculley the greatest play by play announcers of all time in their respective sports . Thank you good Lord for giving us in LA the best !

• ron05342 - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Bob Miller is an HOFer too…and now he has a well-deserved ring, just like Vinny and Chicky-baby. ;)

10. olvera32066 - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I have been blessed in my life. Living in L A, I have enjoyed Chick Hearn in basketball, Bob MIller in hockey, and Vin in baseball.
    Vin has been a source of pride and joy for my entire lifetime. Since the early 70’s Vin has taught me baseball, literature, history, culture, how to be objective, tell the truth, and what it means to be a gentleman. I am deeply thankful to him.
    Rock on Vinnie !!!

• ron05342 - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Yes indeed, we have been blessed with outstanding pro sports broadcasters. It won’t be the same when Scully and Miller finally retire.

11. hushbrother - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:12 PM

This is fantastic. I might as well order the MLB package for 2013 right now. Almost as fantastic would be if Dick Enberg returns for another season calling Padres games.

• ron05342 - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Enberg was outstanding when he was with the Rams here. He is missed as well.

12. randygnyc - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Best broadcaster to ever live. Scooter is 2.

I’ve been lucky enough to have listened to him back in the 70’s when I was a boy. Now I listen to most of the dodger games he calls just to bring back some of those memories of the games I listened to with my grandfather. Sigh.

13. acdc84 - Aug 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I know I’m gonna get killed for this but I’m ready for a change. Vin is great but he doesn’t bring any insight or relevant commentary to the games anymore. He misses calls and plays all the time, and during the game on Friday when the huge trade was all LA fans could think about, he didn’t bring it up once.

• natslady - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Can’t stand Scully. I know I’m getting killed too. That grating nasal voice, drawling on with endless anecdotes that have barely any relevance to the game actually on the field. I turn him off every time, and thank goodness you can get the other team’s broadcasters on MLB.tv. Emperor’s new clothes as far as I’m concerned. Luckily, I can’t see thumbs on my iPhone…

• ron05342 - Aug 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Yeah, good thing you can’t.

You know what they say about opinions and a-holes….everyone has got one, and even a-holes have one too. :)

• lanflfan - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Sad you two are so poisoned by the craptastic crop of announcers that speak so they can hear their own voice, and forget that the game is played by people. I mute pretty much every other broadcaster, and will turn on the radio when the Dodgers are on TV on ESPN or Fox, rather than listen to the denizens they have “calling” games.

Vin is as old school as you get, and that old school attitude is very absent from other announcers. Except when they simulcast, you’ll notice Vin doesn’t have a partner to provide unnecessary white noise. He calls the game naturally, like he was talking with you NOT at you.

Vin will tell a story about a player, and frequently NOT a Dodger, providing some insight into the human on the field. Most other announcers prattle on endlessly about some innane stat or play, like the human doesn’t exist.

At 84, yes Vin misses things. Wrong names every so often, misses a ball or strike here and there. He has always defended umpires too much in my opinion, but I understand his point that slow motion is not available to them, they have one look, blink and you miss it, while we can yell for minutes at our tv/pc while the reply is repeated. I hope I live to 84, and my mind is that sharp.

And, as of this post, your both 3 up and 37 down.

• bigbruce11047 - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Dear acdc84: I don’t know what broadcast you were listening to Saturday night but during the first two innings that’s all he talked about. As far as Friday’s game, while he was broadcasting I don’t think the trade was offical yet. Vin knows what he’s doing!! The change will come pretty soon as he is in his 80s but you’ll never find anyone better.

• acdc84 - Aug 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

LOL I knew I was going to get killed, but that’s OK.

I was talking about FRIDAY’s broadcast (when in my post did I mention Saturday??). I know the trade wasn’t quite finalized but it seemed relevant enough to be discussed during the three hour broadcast. I just miss the insightful commentary that most broadcast teams offer. That’s all I’m saying.

• lanflfan - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Trade was not official and Vin’s been at this a LONG time. It could have fallen apart. It’s something like not talking about a no-hitter or perfect game, one of those things that some announcers, at least the good ones, still believe in.

• stercuilus65 - Aug 27, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Yeah god forbid Vin actually talk about the game being played !

14. teresamasters - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I was a teenager and a big Brooklyn Dodger fan, along with my best friend Lee. We knew most of the players, even got rides home after games, Rainouts we went to the St. George Hotel and played cards with Preacher Roe and Billy Cox. I even visited Vero Beach and went catfishing with Carl Furillo. Totally innocent times, Lee baby sat for Pee Wee Reese and Dorothy.
    One day, under the stands outside of the Dodger clubhouse gate, we saw Red Barber standing with a young red headed man, yes it was Vince Scully. He was not much older then me, so I asked him if he was single. He smiled and said, “Have Tuxedo, will travel.” I was enchanted.
    I moved to Los Angeles before the Dodgers did, and of course was very happy. One day many years later I was walking in Beverly Hills and came face to face with Vince. We had a short conversation, and again I was one happy gal.
    Vince personal ethics have prevailed over his many years of being the “Voice of the Dodgers.” Histrionics and blatant favoritism” have never been his style. They should be in the text books of schools teaching media journalism. IMHO.
    Vince, thank you for your many years of loyalty to your employers. This too should be a lesson.
    Stay strong and healthy.
    Terrie

15. bigbruce11047 - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I live in upstate New York now but I grew up in the Los Angeles area during the late 40s through the early ’90s. I have been listening to Vin Scully ever since the team moved to L.A. for the 1958 season. Listening to the Dodger broadcasts without Vinny would be like losing both your arms and legs. I watch the Dodgers play with the aid of Major League Extra-Innings through my cable company. I know that his tenure as the Dodgers’ broadcaster will end but I hope it will be a long time yet. Keep up the good work, Vinny!!

16. nothimagain - Aug 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

There should be a contest where the grand prize is Vin Sully narrating your life for a day. Simple mundane tasks would instantly become awesome.

17. uclafightfightfight - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM

He’s called games for my whole life, my dad’s whole like AND my grandpa’s whole life. I can’t explain how much of an impact he’s had on Dodgers fans. SO happy to hear he’ll be back. This alone makes us the winners of the trade with Boston.

18. thomas2727 - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Lets start pleading to Fox to let Vin telecast one more World Series on tv. I remember the movement getting legs in 2011. I think I even remember reading Joe Buck would gladly step aside.

I keep thinking how awesome it would have been if Vin had called Game 6 of the 2011 World Series.

We still have time baseball fans. We can still hear one more World Series called by the best ever. And we will not have forever.

And for complete disclosure I am a Giants fan.

• lanflfan - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Do it Fox, you have nothing to lose. Just make sure its ONLY Vin in the booth. Don’t need any other white noise in there with him.

19. barroomhero80 - Aug 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM

natslady….DIE

• ugglasforearms - Aug 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Die??? Really???
      WTF dude? I usually agree with natslady’s posts. Today I didn’t. I was going to reply to her and say so, and “to each his/her own though”.
      Then I saw your comment. I should have known by the “barroom” in your name that you’d say something stupid.

• ron05342 - Aug 26, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Pathetic reply. Get a life. Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if it is ill-informed and against the grain.

• lanflfan - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I think if Vin read this, he would simply say everyone is entitled to their opinion and that natslady and acdc84 have expressed theirs. Probably smile and rattle off a story or three about other people who have expressed their dissatisfaction with him.

I think they are extremely wrong and poisoned by the craptastic crop of announcers churned out now, but I’m not as much of a gentlemen as Vin is.

20. alexandercartwright - Aug 26, 2012 at 5:32 PM

The day Vin Scully decides to retire it indeed will be a sad not only for a distinguished career will have come to an end but the death of a one man booth in MLB as well

21. jayquintana - Aug 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Ah… all is right with the world.

22. yahmule - Aug 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Vin knows how beloved he is (while remaining totally humble) and I believe he’s aware of the incredible sense of loss that baseball fans will feel when he retires. I am so grateful to know he’s returning for another year.

23. Brian Donohue - Aug 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

His tribute to Armstrong was emblematic of his style: perfect timing, emotion, delivery, wonder. Listening to Scully is like hearing a Bach Partita or a Chopin Nocturne. His art cannot be replicated — in that respect, comparisons with others are somewhat unfair. There are a few good voices in baseball: I can think of Martinez in Toronto; the Astro guys are okay; and even those two fellows who do the Dodger road games. It’s just that nobody else alive has raised broadcasting to an art as Scully has. He is among the few who have solved Picasso’s famous dilemma: ‘Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.’

• yahmule - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:34 AM

That was a fine tribute as well, Brian.

24. stercuilus65 - Aug 27, 2012 at 4:11 AM

What makes Vin the best announcer ever?

He never takes sides. He never plays the homer. If anything he is harder on the Dodgers than the other team whom he always respects, he will never badmouth anyone and that includes the opposition.

Never complains about bad calls. Never takes a shot at the umpires even when the Dodgers get royally screwed over Vin stays above it. He knows his baseball, he knows how call tend to even out.

He never editorializes. He knows it’s about the Dodgers’ game not about him. He loves and respects the game.

I think he genuinely doesn’t comprehend just how good he has been. He doesn’t have a fake bone in his body.

The most interesting man in the world listens to Vin!

Stay thirsty my friends…

25. natslady - Aug 27, 2012 at 6:05 AM

I will take everyone’s word for it that Scully is a great broadcaster with a distinguished career. I find his voice impossible to listen to (as a musician) and always have. Apparently, that’s just me.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester