Adrian Gonzalez on why the Boston media didn’t like him

Aug 27, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

adrian gonzalez reuters Reuters

Adrian Gonzalez is really, really happy to be back in California. And he’s comfortable enough there to throw some bombs back in Boston’s direction. Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times reports:

As for why the Boston media didn’t take to him, he said, “They didn’t like that I was a calm person. I won’t throw my helmet, I won’t scream, I won’t use bad words if I strike out. That’s what they want over there … They took me over there and I didn’t change. My intensity, how I prepared, everything was the same. When they took me over there, they took me over there to drive in runs. And I did that.”

I’ll agree that the Boston media prefers it when guys are more interesting, but unless I missed something I never sensed that anyone had it in for Gonzalez especially. He caught heat, understandably so, with that whole Kelly Shoppach/text message fiasco. When he had a poor first half of this season it was noted. But it’s not like he had people down on him like Beckett or Crawford or Buchholz or anyone.

It was obviously not a good fit for him, both culturally and competitively — Hernandez notes how the Green Monster hurt Gonzalez instead of helped him like many thought it would — but there are guys who have gotten a way harder time thrown their way in Boston than Gonzalez.  Indeed, if it wasn’t for the opportunity to dump Beckett and Crawford in this deal, it seems like Boston may very well have wanted to keep him around.

1. hittfamily - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:29 AM

He took a lot of heat for the “God’s Plan” comment after the implosion last year.

• madtolive5 - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM

“people need to eat, whether it be chicken or steak”

Was probably just as bad

• townballblog - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I don’t remember that plan comment. At any rate, he wasn’t really disliked at all. The difference between him and J.D Drew is that Drew, as I mentioned yesterday, while he did look like he didn’t care (he was actually just really calm to be honest, he played hard) he was overpaid and wasn’t putting up the numbers Adrian was.

2. Cyn - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Dan Shaughnessy has been dumping on Gonzalez for quite a while now with vague comments like “He’s a real sour dude”.

Gonzalez isn’t completely wrong about the reasoning. Hell, they hated J.D. Drew before he ever stepped foot in Boston and one of their main reasons was because he supposedly didn’t care about baseball because he never ‘looked’ like he cared.

The other side of that is JD Drew didn’t really care what the Boston sports media thought of him while Gonzalez seems to have taken it personally. I hate when people say you need a certain personality to play in Boston but sometimes it seems like that’s true.

• sabatimus - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Yeah, but also, this is Dan Shaughnessy–he pisses in his own (and therefore everyone else’s) breakfast every morning.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM

In all fairness, a lot of people, not just New Englanders, dislike J.D. Drew

• deadeyedesign23 - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM

The key words there are “Dan Shaughnessy”. I don’t think I know a more miserable sports reporter. That dudes favorite things on Earth are broken dreams and unicorn tears.

• dannymac17 - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM

i lol’d so hard at unicorn tears

3. sabatimus - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I don’t recall anybody before today writing about how Gonzalez’ calmness was a bad thing.

• bigleagues - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Exactly, and Craig is pretty much right. There were definitely some moments that made you shake your head or roll your eyes, but mostly the dude was doing his job.

In fact, despite the weak 2011 second half and the mostly weak 2012 1st half, until the textgate, the Boston media had been relatively supportive of Gonzo. In fact, as this trade was taking shape, Boston media was talking about how Gonzo was the one guy you’d hate to see go.

I happen to believe if he stuck around, things would have gotten worse for him – mainly because a hitter of his caliber really needs to figure out how to use Fenway Park to his advantage – but also because, while he did drive in Runs, the perception was growing that he tended to drive in after the Sox had a lead. I don’t even know if the numbers reflect that, but that perception was definitely out there and growing.

4. kiwicricket - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I think it is all relative.
    He played quite a few seasons in San Diego, where everything must of been pretty idyllic. (Well, aside from the losing)
    A nice guy, in a perfect climate, playing a great 1B and he’s adored and respected for it by the local fans. A year later there is a beer and fried chicken fiasco, Bobby V and txt messages. Guy must think he ended up on Mars, compared to his former life back in San Diego.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM

So what you’re saying is Gonzalez is from Venus? No wait, that doesn’t sound right…

• b7p19 - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM

It wasn’t all losing in his time in San Diego. They made a few runs and even made the postseason while he was there. But, yes, he was much more comfortable. The Pads even kept his brother around for a couple years to help him feel comfortable.

• gloccamorra - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, in five years, he was in 3 division races: one title and postseason, one epic 163rd game playoff for the wild card, and one 90 win huge underdog season. His middle year was a 99 loss season with a veteran team that fell apart.

The main complaint in San Diego was that he was too bland a personality to be the face of the franchise, he was better suited as a complementary personality, with a more outgoing player taking the PR lead.

• pilonflats - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Agon is NOT a nice guy, just because he’s calm doesnt mean he’s a good guy. He’s a very very lazy player, and more worried about $$$$$ than helping his teamates. When he was in SD he cared about his stats, not wins – and im not a padres fan.

• themuddychicken - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Wow, it must be pretty cool to know him so well that you know exactly what is going on in his head.

5. crispybasil - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Give me a break. Plenty of Boston reporters defended Gonzalez, even after he strike out swinging on three pitches against Chris Freaking Davis. The Boston media doesn’t mind a calm player. But the Red Sox were $150+ million playing sub-500 baseball for a year. Gonzalez’s power and plate iscipline disappeared over night. Reporters SHOULD have questioned him. And he should have taken more responsibility.

• sabatimus - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM

The second half, Gonzalez has been fantastic. Overall he was among the league leaders in hits. And the Boston media (and fans) certainly minded JD Drew, who was overpaid for what he brought to the table and didn’t APPEAR to care at all regardless of what happened.

• danrizzle - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I don’t know man. When a position player takes the mound to pitch, you probably expect a straight mid 80s fastball if that, and probably not really over the plate. What Gonzalez got was a nasty splitter (of all pitches!) dying just out of the strike zone low and away. While it’s hilarious that he struck out on three pitches against a position player, I can’t really kill him for swinging through that one.

6. pisano - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:05 AM

This trade was all about the money, Gonzalez was the bait. The Dodgers wanted him and took the other three to get Gonzalez. Boston wanted to get out from under the financial strain they were in, and they didn’t see Crawford being anything like what they thought they were getting. Beckett is in decline and most likely a number three starter, but in Boston he was a cancer and they had their fill with him. In reality this trade worked for both teams, so everyone should be happy.

7. willclarkgameface - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM

People didn’t want to hear about God, the late scheduled games on Sunday’s, the New York-Boston thing, and the general complaining that came from his mouth. They wanted wins. All that stuff I just mentioned would have never left his mouth had it not been for the miserable September last year, but it happened and it made him look like a passive fool.

He belongs in So Cal. Now he can get away from the lame media and just play baseball.

He will flourish in LA and the team will have great success. As for the Red Sox, Rizzo doesn’t look so great right now either and you don’t want to pin your hopes to James Loney’s jersey. 1st base could be a black hole over there for a while if they don’t get a decent free agent, but that’s tricky too.

Someone call Carlos Quintana. STAT.

• teaspoon1731 - Aug 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM

If people don’t want to hear about God, why do I hear so much about Tim Tebow?

8. Ben Cerow - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM

It’s the Boston media. Give them enough time and they hate everyone. See: Ted Williams.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM

should be “Give the Boston front office enough time and the media will hate everyone.”

I can’t wait to hear all of the dirty laundry that should inevitably leak out about Gonzalez, Beckett etc.

9. daveydawg - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Hopefully there aren’t too many late Sunday night games out there, I know how hard that can be on your pampered multimillion dollar ____.

10. singingfriar - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM

“When they took me over there…” I don’t recall anyone forcing you to sign that HUGE extension. Poor Adrian.

11. infectorman - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Boston Media is flat our ridiculous.

They will attempt to invent “something out of nothing” to a absurdly exponential degree to keep their ratings up in Sports talk radio.
    I cannot even listen to the vast majority of them anymore.

Someone!!!! PLEEAAASSEEE ANYONE!!!!!. PLEASE tell ORDWAY he needs to hang up his microphone!!!!!!
    He’s overstayed his increasingly tenuous welcome in the Boston media market for almost a complete decade now.

Smutt and scam man Merloni, need to just go away.
    AS IF Lou Merloni would ever have a had even a sniff of an interview if he didn’t base his drive thru MLB career here in Boston. GOD he cannot bring anything to the table.
    Mutt boy is equally cardboard.

No wonder the Sports HUB is killing them.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3799)