And That Happened: July 20, 1969

Yankees 3, Senators 2
Twins 4, Pilots 0
Braves 10, Padres 0
Mets 4, Expos 2; Expos 3, Mets 2
Cubs 1, Phillies 0; Cubs 6, Phillies 1
Giants 7, Dodgers 3

Oh, and this badass walked on the frickin’ moon:

source:

Sorry, needed a baseball prextext to note that one of the most extraordinary Americans to ever walk the Earth, and a world beyond, passed over the weekend.

The greatness of his most well-known accomplishment was matched by the greatness of his lesser known accomplishments. Not the least of which was the fact that, when that great one was over, he just put his head down, went to work on noble things and didn’t seek the spotlight. Which is simultaneously the most and least American thing ever.

Good travels, Mr. Armstrong.

1. number42is1 - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM

man how i wish they still did scheduled Day/Night DH’s.

I’m giving 10-1 on the Mets winning it all

• dwaynehosey - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM

More likely these were single admission doubleheaders. Buy one ticket, see a game, stick around twenty minutes and see another game…

• natstowngreg - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

IMHO, the odds should be a bit higher. The Mets have made a lot of progress this season, especially with their young pitching. Still, they’ll have to win the first-ever NL playoff series (maybe against the Braves) to get the World Series. Then, they’ll probably have to beat the Orioles, who would go into the Series as a prohibitive favorite over any NL team.

2. darthicarus - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Godspeed Neil Armstrong.

3. mybrunoblog - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I like the Orioles to go all the way and win the World Series. I mean c’mon, it would take a miracle to beat the Orioles this year.
    A+ for Calcaterra for this post. Well Done.

4. stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I was 17 years old and working in food service before starting my senior year in HS. I told the boss he could fire me if he wanted, but some guys were landing on the moon and I was going to be by the television. Went home and watched the news broadcast with my family.

“Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”

I never felt quite the same again after hearing those words. Requiescat in pace, Niel Armstrong. May the next men who set foot on the moon measure up to you.

• stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM

“Neil”. DAMN TYPO.

5. heyblueyoustink - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM

All those clowns who say the Moon Landing happened in the desert of New Mexico or Arizona, I hope they punched themselves in the face this weekend.

6. thefalcon123 - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM

This provides me the wonderful excuse to post one of my favorite 20 second clips of all time. Buzz Aldrin responding the a Moon landing conspiracy theorist the only way one should.

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Repressing dissent is un-American.

Then again, this isn’t the only country in the world. Sometimes a quick visit to Ireland can be bracing, you know?

• stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Were we referring to that fine old sport of Irish Stand Down? In which case Buzz gave him a quick lesson.

But some dissent just begs for suppression. Unless you have a magic force field, there is a certain risk to calling most men cowards and liars to their faces. Ask John Stossel about the pro wrestlers. That was fun to watch, too.

7. drunkenhooliganism - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

“Good luck, Mr. Gorsky.”

8. theptbnl - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My favorite baseball related story when it comes to the moon landing –
    When Gaylord Perry came up to the majors he was told by his manager that a man would walk on the moon before Gaylord ever hit a home run. Naturally, he hit his first career home run about an hour after Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

9. APBA Guy - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Of all the recent deaths of figures from my youth, this one has affected me most deeply. Like stex above, those of us old enough to be aware of the event were all gathered in front of the TV, watching those incredible images. For context, this was in the middle of Viet Nam, a year after the major civil rights riots in 1968, along with the deaths of Robert Kennedy and ML King, Jr, just a tremendous amount of daily negativity .

Then there was this. Such grace, such courage, such a willful manifestation of what mankind could do. Go to the Air and Space Museum and study the capsule and let your imagination travel back in time. Those guys went to the moon, walked around, and came back in that tiny thing, with the compute power of a calculator to assist them.

There are some things in life you know, even at an early age, that you’ll never do. That awareness makes you admire those who do such great things even more. In all the world there was nobody I admired more than Neil Armstrong.

• stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Say what you will about the excesses of the ’60’s, we had the moon program. It was amazing to watch as it unfolded, even for a kid.

• APBA Guy - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I think especially for a kid, because it really expanded your range of the possible. I certainly dreamed bigger than my parents who grew up during the depression, and I like to think that that optimism about the future has never completely left me.

• theotherfamousamos - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM

That was one of the most striking things that stood out for me after visiting Cape Canaveral a couple of years ago: the computers on the Apollo vehicles had the computing power of a calculator. My iPhone is hundreds of time more powerful than the system that brought men to the moon and back. And yet these men made it there and back safely. That’s amazing.

• natstowngreg - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Hear hear. John F. Kennedy said that he chose to commit America to go to the moon not because it was easy, but because it was hard. That, and it was important to get there before the Soviets. Back in the time after the Cuban Missile Crisis almost started World War III, and we were in Vietnam to keep the Commies from taking over Asia (if not the whole world). The time when we had to do those meaningless “duck and cover” drills in school. In 20/20 hindsight, it occurs to me that (1) hiding wasn’t going to save us if the Russkies nuked our school, and (2) why would the Russkies nuke our school?

Oh, and don’t forget Orange Tang(TM). We had to drink it because that’s what the astronauts drank in space. :)

For those who haven’t see it, I recommend getting your hands on Tom Hanks’ HBO series, “From the Earth to the Moon.” An excellent recounting of the space program.

10. Francisco (FC) - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I very nearly decided to divorce my wife on the spot when I mentioned this to her and her reaction was: “Oh yeah the guy who “walked” on the Moon…”

11. Lukehart80 - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Larry Granillo has a great piece up at Baseball Prospectus right now about baseball on 7/29/69:

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Thanks much for that, Luke. Great piece indeed.

• Lukehart80 - Aug 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Yeah, it’s a great read. Larry is a real enthusiast for the space program, from what I can tell.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3075)