And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Aug 27, 2012, 5:30 AM EST

Cliff Lee

I looked at the schedule as I sat down to write this and noted that, even including the postponed game, there were only 14 games yesterday. Rays-A’s played Thursday-Saturday, leaving yesterday off to avoid conflicts with the Republican National Convention. Guess you couldn’t expect the RNC to compromise, so …

Anyway, it was weird and disorienting to see less than a full slate of games. Only thirteen thanks to the rain in Baltimore. Oh wells:

Phillies 4, Nationals 1: The sweep. With Cliff Lee pitching like Cliff Lee is supposed to pitch. Everyone’s having a lard at the Phillies season in the wilderness, but I think folks are gonna be in for a surprise next year when everyone’s healthy and they have Hamels/Lee/Halladay and a couple of good bats. It ain’t perfect, no, but that more than plays in the NL.

Brewers 7, Pirates 0: You hear that Mr. Hurdle?… That is the sound of inevitability… It is the sound of your death… Goodbye, Mr. Hurdle…

Braves 7, Giants 1: Tim Hudson allowed one over seven innings and, while it wasn’t an awful start, Tim Lincecum looked quite mortal allowing three over five. Back to back homers by Heyward and Freeman in the ninth were unnecessary piling on.

Cardinals 8, Reds 2: Four hits and four RBI for Matt Holliday, who has to be a part of the MVP conversation. Allen Craig homered and drove in three. The Cardinals are heating up. They’ve past the Pirates and, while still six back of the Reds, are looking dangerous.

Yankees 4, Indians 2: Curtis Granderson hit his 200th home run. Of all time, not in the game or the season, because those would be records. New York took two of three from lowly Cleveland, giving them a bit of breathing room over the Rays, who are four back.

Tigers 5, Angels 2: Back to back homers in the sixth by Prince Fielder and Delmon Young. Max Scherzer continued his recent good run, striking out nine in seven innings and winning his 14th. Mike Trout had a bad series. I note it only because I think it’s the first bad series he’s had all year.

Cubs 5, Rockies 0: Chris Volstad got his first win since, I think, the Carter administration. The game ended early due to rain. Gonna level with you: i’m having a hard time thinking about a Cubs game in Chicago, guys. For reasons that are best left unexplored but which have something to do with my girlfriend, I started watching that old TBS show “My Boys” over the weekend. The one with the female lead who covers the Cubs and has all the male friends and — based on two or three episodes anyway — looks like it’s gonna be some inside-out “Sex and the City” thing, albeit somewhat smarter. Upshot: the chick is pretty good looking, but all I keep thinking is how the people who really cover the Cubs look like Paul Sullivan. I can only suspend my disbelief so much, folks.  Oh, and I want the main character’s apartment.

Padres 5, Diamondbacks 4: Seven game winning streak for the Friars. They have swept the Diamondbacks in Arizona twice this year. A  three-man umpire crew officiated the game after crew chief Tim Tschida was scratched due to “personal medical reasons.” With the caveat that I will take this joke back if it turns out to actually be serious, I’m gonna assume he’s suffering from Little Donnie’s Disease.

Red Sox 8, Royals 6:  Pedro Ciriaco had three hits, scored twice and drove in two. James Loney had an RBI single. Wondering how long until the new car smell wears off the new look Sox and everyone starts to realize that, just because some guys no one likes are gone, the team isn’t any more fun to watch and certainly isn’t better.

Twins 6, Rangers 5: You can’t stop Ben Revere, you can only hope to contain him. Four hits for him, as the Twins broke a five-game losing streak.

Marlins 6, Dodgers 2: Four homers for the Marlins. Three in three games for Giancarlo Stanton. He had eight homers during the Marlins’ 11-game road trip.

Mets 2, Astros 1: Offensively, it was all Ike Davis, as he accounted for both Mets runs with homers, including the walkoff. Lucas Duda gunned a would-be runner out at home in the ninth to keep the game tied at 1.

White Sox 4, Mariners 3: Like the Cubs game, this one was called early — after seven — due to rain. Tyler Flowers‘ game-winning homer came in just under the wire.

Blue Jays vs. Orioles: POSTPONED: As a man I ain’t never been much for sunny days. I’m as calm as a fruit stand in New York and maybe as strange. But when the color goes out of my eyes, it’s usually the change.  But damn Sam I love a woman that rains.

1. uyf1950 - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:32 AM

I’m impressed, just 2 minute past 5:30am here on the east coast and “And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights…” is already up.

2. uyf1950 - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:36 AM

While Granderson may not have “hit his 200th home run. Of all time, not in the game or the season, because those would be records.” He is on track to 200 K’s this season and that would only be 23 shy of tying the All Time ML Single Season Record.

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Leave Curtis Alone!

• proudlycanadian - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Leave Len alone!

• uyf1950 - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:49 AM

yankeesfanlen, what next. Leave Martin alone? Never ! Martin is a pimple on the ass of time.

But aside from that how are you doing my friend?

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Leave Josh Becket alone!

HeeeeeeHOOOOOHAHAHAHAheeeehooohahahahahah….

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

At 4 games up things are just barely acceptable in my Universeland, uyf. As explained below, could use a few more runs scored. You may also bother Martin, Stewart is my man.

3. natslady - Aug 27, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Um, maybe a tad excessive on the Hurdle hate?

• redguy12588 - Aug 27, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Nah, it’s okay. Pirates fans have a very good sense of humor, because we’re pirates fans.

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Check your liver regularly.

• paperlions - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Plus, Neo then kick’s Smith’s ass…..just hoping the Cardinals don’t play the roll of Smith (getting run over by a train) the next 3 days.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM

“roll of Smith” – sounds like a new phrase for a joint

4. qacm - Aug 27, 2012 at 6:11 AM

This ATH has the smell of Jim Beam all over it.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :)

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 27, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Bite your tongue. I was drinking Maker’s Mark last night.

• dlf9 - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:30 AM

After having been a scotch drinker for nigh on 25 years, primarily thinking bad thoughts of frat boys with Beam and Coke. But here in my mid-40s, I’ve started drinking bourbon again. The past two weeks have been Bulleit because it packs well and I’m traveling in India where bourbons are few and far between. At home waiting for me, there are bottles of Woodford, Jefferson Reserve, and the special Kentucky Derby editioni of Woodford. I would welcome additional recommendations from the fine readers and besotted writers of HBT.

• kiwicricket - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Sir, whiskey is not something in short supply in India. Should be plenty of stores available to make a purchase. Every 200m or so, at the side of the road.
        Some pretty decent local wines if you are willing to take a leap of faith and give one a go.

• dlf9 - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Indeed kiwi, but it is almost always a scotch like Johnny Walker or a domestic whiskey like Royal Crown (not Crown Royal). I’ve found Jack Daniels, but Tennesse Sour Mash is not bourbon either. The best of the local products I’ve found are the rums from the southern part of the country where there is a lot of sugar production.

• nolanwiffle - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I used to love Maker’s Mark….until I tried Blanton’s. Simply the best.

• atxjustin - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Maker’s Mark and “Heartbreaker” by Ryan Adams? That is a dangerous combination.

• natslady - Aug 27, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Thought the same myself. Nice to see a post at 5 in the morning but you might want to wait until the hangover wears off–just a wee bit.

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM

You’re up early yourself. Has my fellow classically trained vocalist had a bad night over the weekend series with the Feelies?

• natslady - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Gator, not the funnest. Plus the boys got second prize and had to spend an extra night in Filly to wait out Isaac.

• stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Way of the world, ain’t it, Natslady? The only sure thing about baseball is you can be sure of nothing. Probably just a bump in the road, though.

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Awww, I was just trying to start up a conversation about my own studies in classical vocals and take my opera-singing buddy’s mind off a rough weekend. Buddha knows I’ve had more than my share of those these past two seasons.

• natslady - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I was working, OG, so not much time for conversation–can you believe it took Craig five hours to post the Nats’ gossip? It was all over Twitter and local blogs right after it happened. And–wait for it–no post at all about Bryce Harper smashing helmets in the tunnel after he got double-switched out of the game? But we have a Red Sox post like clockwork every four hours—even when it’s an anti-gossip story. This place makes me laugh.

Glad to hear you are safe, a little worried about one of my favorite cities, though…

5. proudlycanadian - Aug 27, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Cliff Lee finally figured out how to win a game. He did it with his bat as he hit a RBI double. 3 wins in 23 starts for a pitcher with that ability is rather unusual.

6. brockw82 - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:21 AM

It’s from Batman (Hurdle – Mr. Wayne)

• wlschneider09 - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Er. No, Mr. Anderson. That sound you hear is a quote from the Matrix, Mr. Anderson.

7. kiwicricket - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM

The Braves are playing good baseball. Their combined bullpen ERA for August is at 1.50, while looking fit and strong for the final run.
    Lincecum looked league average and unimpressive unfort.
    Sandoval is actually obese. Can’t see his wiener territory*

*Unable/unwilling to confirm this

• stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I don’t even want to know, Kiwi.

But that was actually something I noted about watching the Skeeters with Clemens the other night. A lot of fat players. I guess because it’s a mix of young ones who haven’t gotten a break and older ones still hanging in there.

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Speaking of fat players, this has been the summer of miniskirts and spandex on middle aged matrons at Macondo Banana Massacre Field. I don’t know what happened to slacks and mid-calf modesty. It’s been acres of exposed cellulite since April. I find myself retreating to the Clevelander between innings for a clarifying ogle of some genuine post-pubescent pneumatic perusal.

8. indaburg - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:56 AM

It was weird not being able to watch my Rays on a Sunday, but the good ole boys of the Grand Old Party needed the Trop for some sort of soggy welcoming party, with Isaac hanging around. Just as well. The Rays looked on Saturday like a team that sorely needed a day off. I believe they played something like 19 straight games.

9. Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:09 AM

An uncharacteristically good day for the Feesh. New kid Rob Brantly got his first MLB home run, and there was actually someone on base when he hit it. All the rest were solo shots. Yeah, they all count, but the Iron Giant otherwise was 0-4 and looked like he was trying to kill everything. Meanwhile the Feesh left the bases loaded twice, scoring a run on an error in one of those situations but otherwise leaving six guys with their thumbs up their behinds with a variety of popouts, strikeouts and infield groundouts. The usual march of futility. Mark Buehrle got the win after peetching well and getting adequate run support twice in a row. Wow. Brantly also demonstrated some terrific agility leaping from his ketcher’s krouch to snag a wild pitch from Heath Bell that had “backstop” written all over it. I like this kid. He isn’t built like your usual catcher, most of whom look like hyperpineal Pacman frogs. He just looks so scrawny that it’s hard to imagine him surviving a collision with anything bigger than a HotWheels friction drive car.

The Feesh limp home to their cozy little basement niche and yards full of snapped twigs and branches and maybe the odd power outage as Tropical Storm Isaac becomes the Gulf Coast’s problem. We came through it with a couple of brownouts, one or two downed power lines, a blown transformer down the street (BANG!), a couple of intermittent internet outages and another two days of pelting rain in the forecasts. Peh. Baby stuff. We expected worse. The Feesh will probably get their worse from the peesed-off Gnats tomorrow.

• detroitr1 - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I have a feeling that Tiger fans are going to regret losing Brantly at some point.

• scratchnsniffnblog - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Maybe Brantly will put on some weight after Ruggz gets him hooked on peanut butter, banana, and honey sammiches. I’ve been eating a lot of those lately and they are better for adding numbers to the waistline than the batting average. Of course, I don’t play baseball, so who knows…I may be the next Melky Cabrera. Except I didn’t order my peanut butter from my own blog.

Gator, I’m glad Isaac missed you and my friends in the SoFla area. The last one I went through down there was Wilma, and she was an itchy B-word.

10. proudlycanadian - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I finally watched a game by the Fish and surprisingly they won. I was totally surprised. As far as the weather is concerned, the son of Abraham did not smite Florida as much as was feared but he did manage to scare off some visiting fraidy cats.

11. Lukehart80 - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM

From the random statistical accomplishments department:

– Max Scherzer has struck out at least 8 in 8 consecutive starts, that is the longest such streak by an American League pitcher since Pedro did it 11 times in a row back in 2002.

– Alex Rios stole his 20th base yesterday, giving him a 20/20 season, his second as a member of the White Sox. Incredibly, the Sox have had just five 20/20 seasons in franchise history. The only MLB team with fewer is the Rays, who of course have only been around since 1998.

12. yankeesfanlen - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM

See, this is what happens when the Universe’s pitching gets the least bit good. These convulted line-ups can’t hit. Granted, Beep-beep/Swish at the top are doing well, but it’s still mix and match at the bottom after Grandy. Please come back soon Alexander Emmanuel.

13. kiwicricket - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

It’s a baseball blog, but I would like to mention the passing of Mr Neil Alden Armstrong- First person to walk on the Moon, as well as an American astronaut, test pilot, aerospace engineer, university professor and United States Naval Aviator.

The dude did a bit.

• stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Most inspirational words I ever heard in my life: “Houston, Tranquility Base Here. The Eagle has landed.” I will go to my grave remembering that day.

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I met Armstrong briefly in Denver in around 1980, and everything you’ve heard about his self-effacing modesty is absolutely true. I was stuck at the airport due to weather cancellation of my connecting flight, as was he, and we converged from different concourses on the same service desk to rebook our connections. I kindasorta didn’t recognize him at first – probably just wouldn’t let myself believe it was actually him – but finally got up the nerve to ask, “Aren’t you Neal Armstrong” or something equally inane. He gave me a warm smile and replied, “Yes – have we met before?” It didn’t occur to him that he was enough of a celebrity to be recognized by a stranger in a crowd.

• stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM

BTW, ignore any “thumbs downs” you get on that note. Obviously a sociopath or two out and about.

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Why attribute complex psychiatric explanations to what is most probably no more than mere stupidity?

• stex52 - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Some things just hit too close to home. I would rather believe that anyone who belittled Neil Armstrong was psychotic, pyromaniac, devil-worshipping cannibal than acknowledge the likelihood that they are just stupid.

• sportsdrenched - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Being in aviation Neil Armstrong has always been someone I’ve looked up to.

Shoot for the stars but if you happen to miss shoot for the moon instead.

and

I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don’t intend to waste any of mine.

Which means I should probably quit reading HBT and get to work.

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Yeah – you don’t want to forget meet that unaccompanied minor changing planes again.

14. philsgamer - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Ha. Republicans and compromise. I see what you did there…

15. sportsdrenched - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I found myself watching the tail end of the Braves & Giants last night. I got to see the standing ovation Giants fans gave Chipper Jones as he PH fir Tim Hudson. After which I realized the Braves & Giants were actually in the same division when Chipper Jones came up in 1993. Braves & Giants had some good battle in the early 90’s. And it’s also fun to see dudes hit Back-to-back home runs…as long as its not agains the Royals.

I only caught parts of their series with Boston over the weekend. I’ve kind of checked out on them, which tends to happen this time of year.

• mrwillie - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Classy move by the San Fran crowd. Had the opportunity to go to AT&T this summer, quite a haul for this east coaster, and was impressed by the Giants fan base. They’re a knowledgeable bunch who love their baseball. With a park like that, they better too.

• sportsdrenched - Aug 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I was there 11 years ago. It’s my favorite MLB park that I’ve been to.

16. mybrunoblog - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM

With the RNC at the Tampa Bay ballpark the Rays should have asked the Yankees to let them use Legends field. I know Legends Field only seats 11k but….well. You know where this is going…..

17. DJ MC - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

My Boys is a great show. Lots of really funny people involved, though (like a lot of show premises) the sports angle fades away over the series. One of my favorites, and definitely left us before its time.

Oh, and you’ll find out that they’re aware of the Sex and the City comps later in the season.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester