Aug 27, 2012, 11:23 PM EST
It was just the fifth, but Brett Anderson was looking really good tonight.
With one out in the fifth inning in Monday’s game between the A’s and Indians, Michael Brantley hit a little roller to the left of first base. Chris Carter came off the bag to get the ball and flipped to the bag, which both Anderson and second baseman Cliff Pennington were trying to cover. Pennington made the catch with his foot on the bag just before Brantley got there. First-base ump Jerry Meals had a very good look at it, but he still called the runner safe in the confusion.
Anderson quickly got an inning-ending double play to finish the frame. He ended up allowing just two hits in seven innings in his second start back from Tommy John surgery. The bullpen finished the two-hit shutout from there.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)