Aug 27, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
After his Nationals were swept by the Phillies yesterday manager Davey Johnson was heard in the clubhouse yelling “you come down and manage the team!” to what Bill Ladson of MLB.com identified as general manager Mike Rizzo.
Once that happened all the reporters were told to leave the clubhouse for 15 minutes and when they returned Johnson explained: “I had a discussion with my boss.”
He declined to get into any further details and Rizzo declined to comment about the incident at all, leaving everyone to speculate about what was really going on.
Johnson was clearly frustrated after the Nationals lost for the fourth consecutive game, and rightfully so since it was an ugly, mistake-filled performance, but Washington still has the best record in baseball at 77-50 and remains 4.5 games ahead of Atlanta in the NL East.
However, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com yesterday’s yelling was probably much ado about (mostly) nothing.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)