Aug 27, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
After his Nationals were swept by the Phillies yesterday manager Davey Johnson was heard in the clubhouse yelling “you come down and manage the team!” to what Bill Ladson of MLB.com identified as general manager Mike Rizzo.
Once that happened all the reporters were told to leave the clubhouse for 15 minutes and when they returned Johnson explained: “I had a discussion with my boss.”
He declined to get into any further details and Rizzo declined to comment about the incident at all, leaving everyone to speculate about what was really going on.
Johnson was clearly frustrated after the Nationals lost for the fourth consecutive game, and rightfully so since it was an ugly, mistake-filled performance, but Washington still has the best record in baseball at 77-50 and remains 4.5 games ahead of Atlanta in the NL East.
However, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com yesterday’s yelling was probably much ado about (mostly) nothing.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)