Aug 27, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
After his Nationals were swept by the Phillies yesterday manager Davey Johnson was heard in the clubhouse yelling “you come down and manage the team!” to what Bill Ladson of MLB.com identified as general manager Mike Rizzo.
Once that happened all the reporters were told to leave the clubhouse for 15 minutes and when they returned Johnson explained: “I had a discussion with my boss.”
He declined to get into any further details and Rizzo declined to comment about the incident at all, leaving everyone to speculate about what was really going on.
Johnson was clearly frustrated after the Nationals lost for the fourth consecutive game, and rightfully so since it was an ugly, mistake-filled performance, but Washington still has the best record in baseball at 77-50 and remains 4.5 games ahead of Atlanta in the NL East.
However, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com yesterday’s yelling was probably much ado about (mostly) nothing.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)