Aug 27, 2012, 11:45 PM EDT
It was his ninth career shutout.
Hernandez has won nine straight decisions to put himself right in the thick of the AL Cy Young race. The shutout stat can’t hurt. Besides Wells, the only AL starter to record five shutouts in a season since 1990 was Roger Clemens in 1992. In the eight seasons from 2003-2010, there were six years in which no AL starter had more than two shutouts.
Hernandez made an unlucky loser of Liam Hendriks tonight in a 1-0 game. Hendriks pitched a three-hitter in his first career complete game, yet he fell to 0-7 on the season.
Hernandez hasn’t lost since June 12. At 13-7, he’s still three wins behind David Price and Jered Weaver. However, he is closing in on Price’s AL ERA lead (Price is at 2.28, Hernandez 2.43 and Justin Verlander 2.50). He’s also third in the league with 184 strikeouts.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)