Luis Ayala’s guide to making friends and ending up on Deadspin

Aug 27, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT

Luis Ayala Getty Images

Short story: Luis Ayala sees a pretty girl and wants to get to know her a little better. Since this happened while he was in the bullpen before an Orioles-Rangers game in Arlington, he did the obvious thing: he wrote his phone number and uniform number down on a baseball and saw to it that it made its way to the object of his distraction.

Deadspin.com has the rest, including a quick text conversation, courtesy of said lady’s boyfriend.

Obviously, Ayala didn’t do anything here hundreds of ballplayers haven’t done before. He just got sold out. And since he has a wife in Mexico, this might not end very well for him.

1. jaysjunkie - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

That’s pretty funny. Just how hot was this woman that “all of Baltimore’s bullpen fixated on her”?

• protius - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:30 PM

She was so hot that all of the O’s relievers were willing to sign their balls over to her.

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM

After spending my entire life just a few mins shy of Baltimore….I’m going to say not very…

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Edit: After reading the Deadspin article, I realized this occurred in Arlington. That explains that….

3. mybrunoblog - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Ayala gave his wife a signed bat when they met. I guess the recession is taking its toll.

4. randygnyc - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Last year when my daughter and I went to the Yankee hotel in Minnesota, some creepy guy who looked like Ayala’s twin was in the crowd waiting for Ayala. When the players started coming out, security and police approached the guy and told him to get lost because Ayala did want to see him. They obviously knew each-other but it was still very strange. Maybe he was a stalker.

5. tacklemeelmo - Aug 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

This is how I got the phone number for Derek Holland… (He tossed it to the girl next to me in MN who showed me the ball)

6. bigleagues - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

That was one of the lamest waste of time Deadspin posts I have ever witnessed.

7. hockeyflow33 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Deadspin has become so trash-worthy lately.

• pellypell - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Lately? These are the same guys that brought us pics of Favre’s cawk and bawls.

8. atworkident - Aug 28, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Really? I am sure she was flirting with him so he would “throw her a ball” fans do that all the time. Guys yell and taunt, women flirt or bring little kids if their past flirting stage. Obviously her boyfriend knew what she was doing. No story here. It was probably one of the other players that set him up.

I was in Detroit for the Orioles game and they planted a HOT blonde cop in the bullpen. She was so obviously a plant. She had long blonde hair down to her… way beyond regulations. She wore her hair up but kept taking it down playing with it and putting it back up.

If she didn’t distract the bullpen I am sure this little whoo-wa in Texas was just something to pass the time.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3474)