Aug 27, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
That’s the word from FOXsports.com’s Ken Rosenthal:
#Mariners’ Millwood and Vargas went on waivers today. Both likely to be claimed. Vargas owed just over $1M, Millwood just over $200K.—
Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 27, 2012
I can’t help but think the Dodgers would put claims in both, though it’s entirely possible neither will make it out of the American League unclaimed.
Vargas, 29, is 13-8 with a 3.75 ERA and a 111/45 K/BB ratio in 180 innings this season. Not only is he cheap this year, but he’s under control for another year in arbitration. He’ll probably make $6 million-$8 million in 2013.
Millwood, 37, is a free agent at season’s end. He’s 4-11 with a 4.28 ERA and a 100/48 K/BB ratio in 145 innings. He’s especially struggled of late, posting a 5.76 ERA in five starts this month. However, he has been a surprisingly solid pitcher away from Safeco Field this year, amassing a 4.38 ERA in 13 starts.Vargas, in comparison, has a 4.62 ERA in his road outings.
The Orioles were known to have interest in Vargas before the trade deadline and might well put in a claim now, even though they just picked up Joe Saunders from Arizona. The Angels and Tigers might also be in the mix here. The Angels have the worst record of any AL contender, so they would seem to have first dibs unless a non-contender claims Vargas thinking he can help in 2013.
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 3
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 28
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)