Aug 27, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
That’s the word from FOXsports.com’s Ken Rosenthal:
#Mariners’ Millwood and Vargas went on waivers today. Both likely to be claimed. Vargas owed just over $1M, Millwood just over $200K.—
Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 27, 2012
I can’t help but think the Dodgers would put claims in both, though it’s entirely possible neither will make it out of the American League unclaimed.
Vargas, 29, is 13-8 with a 3.75 ERA and a 111/45 K/BB ratio in 180 innings this season. Not only is he cheap this year, but he’s under control for another year in arbitration. He’ll probably make $6 million-$8 million in 2013.
Millwood, 37, is a free agent at season’s end. He’s 4-11 with a 4.28 ERA and a 100/48 K/BB ratio in 145 innings. He’s especially struggled of late, posting a 5.76 ERA in five starts this month. However, he has been a surprisingly solid pitcher away from Safeco Field this year, amassing a 4.38 ERA in 13 starts.Vargas, in comparison, has a 4.62 ERA in his road outings.
The Orioles were known to have interest in Vargas before the trade deadline and might well put in a claim now, even though they just picked up Joe Saunders from Arizona. The Angels and Tigers might also be in the mix here. The Angels have the worst record of any AL contender, so they would seem to have first dibs unless a non-contender claims Vargas thinking he can help in 2013.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)