Aug 27, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
11:27 PM: According to Sweeny Murti of WFAN, Mark Teixeira said he was diagnosed with a Grade 1 calf strain and thinks he could be out anywhere from one to two weeks. Of course, it’s possible he could miss more time.
11:10 PM: No word yet on the MRI results, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Jack Curry of YES Network that Teixeira is unlikely to play in at least the next five games.
9:10 PM ET: Mark Teixeira’s left wrist has been a nagging issue for the past month, but now he has another injury to deal with.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that Teixeira exited tonight’s game against the Blue Jays after four innings with a left calf strain and was sent to New York-Presbyterian Hospital to undergo an MRI.
Teixeira appeared to tweak something during his at-bat in the fourth inning. He finished the at-bat and eventually drew a walk, but limped around the bases when he scored on an RBI single by Russell Martin. Eric Chavez replaced him at first base to begin the fifth inning while Jayson Nix entered the game to play third.
Teixeira is hitting .255/.355/.478 with 23 home runs, 81 RBI and an .813 OPS in 119 games this season. The Yankees could shuffle through a number of options at first base if he requires an extended absence, including Nick Swisher, Eric Chavez, Casey McGehee and the newly-acquired Steve Pearce.
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 5
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 40
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)