Aug 27, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
11:27 PM: According to Sweeny Murti of WFAN, Mark Teixeira said he was diagnosed with a Grade 1 calf strain and thinks he could be out anywhere from one to two weeks. Of course, it’s possible he could miss more time.
11:10 PM: No word yet on the MRI results, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Jack Curry of YES Network that Teixeira is unlikely to play in at least the next five games.
9:10 PM ET: Mark Teixeira’s left wrist has been a nagging issue for the past month, but now he has another injury to deal with.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that Teixeira exited tonight’s game against the Blue Jays after four innings with a left calf strain and was sent to New York-Presbyterian Hospital to undergo an MRI.
Teixeira appeared to tweak something during his at-bat in the fourth inning. He finished the at-bat and eventually drew a walk, but limped around the bases when he scored on an RBI single by Russell Martin. Eric Chavez replaced him at first base to begin the fifth inning while Jayson Nix entered the game to play third.
Teixeira is hitting .255/.355/.478 with 23 home runs, 81 RBI and an .813 OPS in 119 games this season. The Yankees could shuffle through a number of options at first base if he requires an extended absence, including Nick Swisher, Eric Chavez, Casey McGehee and the newly-acquired Steve Pearce.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)