Aug 27, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
11:27 PM: According to Sweeny Murti of WFAN, Mark Teixeira said he was diagnosed with a Grade 1 calf strain and thinks he could be out anywhere from one to two weeks. Of course, it’s possible he could miss more time.
11:10 PM: No word yet on the MRI results, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Jack Curry of YES Network that Teixeira is unlikely to play in at least the next five games.
9:10 PM ET: Mark Teixeira’s left wrist has been a nagging issue for the past month, but now he has another injury to deal with.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that Teixeira exited tonight’s game against the Blue Jays after four innings with a left calf strain and was sent to New York-Presbyterian Hospital to undergo an MRI.
Teixeira appeared to tweak something during his at-bat in the fourth inning. He finished the at-bat and eventually drew a walk, but limped around the bases when he scored on an RBI single by Russell Martin. Eric Chavez replaced him at first base to begin the fifth inning while Jayson Nix entered the game to play third.
Teixeira is hitting .255/.355/.478 with 23 home runs, 81 RBI and an .813 OPS in 119 games this season. The Yankees could shuffle through a number of options at first base if he requires an extended absence, including Nick Swisher, Eric Chavez, Casey McGehee and the newly-acquired Steve Pearce.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)