Aug 27, 2012, 8:13 PM EDT
Nick Hundley signed a three-year, $9 million extension with the Padres in January, but it’s been all downhill from there.
Hundley batted just .166 with three home runs and a .485 OPS in 55 games prior to being demoted to Triple-A Tucson in late June. The 28-year-old backstop suffered a hamstring injury during his time in the minors, but found his way back to the majors earlier this month while Yasmani Grandal was on the disabled list with an oblique injury. However, he appeared in just three games before being placed on the disabled list with a right knee injury. Making matters worse, Corey Brock of MLB.com is reporting that he’ll undergo season-ending surgery Wednesday to repair a torn meniscus.
Hundley actually suffered the injury way back in April, so that would certainly explain his season-long struggles. He’ll likely be 100 percent by spring training, but his future with the Padres is in doubt now that Grandal has seemingly jumped him on the depth chart.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)