Quote of the Day: “If I had that body I’d never have clothes on”

Aug 27, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT

Bernadina216

Before this season Nationals outfielder Roger Bernadina was mostly known for big muscles and small production at the plate, but now he’s hitting .308 with an .800 OPS in 103 games as part-time player.

His muscles, however, haven’t changed, as teammate Chad Tracy explained to James Wagner of the Washington Post:

The guy is a Greek god. I’ve played against him but you don’t realize how solid he is until you see him with his shirt off. He’s pretty humble. If I had that body, I’d never have clothes on.

Wagner details how Bernandina got into such impressive shape and also gets some quotes from manager Davey Johnson about how the outfielder changed his approach at the plate too.

1. dondada10 - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

In the late ’90s, that’s what the batboys looked like.

2. cur68 - Aug 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Someone else has joined me in admiring Roger Bernadina? Su-weeeeeeeet. Soon the Roger Bernadina Man-Crush Society (RBMCS) will be charging admission to our ranks because our ledger of members just doubled (we don’t count his mom: she HAS to love him). In the meantime, the rest of you are mere bandwagonners compared to me & Chad Tracey…and Rog’s mom, of course.

3. verytalldad - Aug 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

The shark or lombardozzi should be starting over Harper right now.

4. 24missed - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Chad Tracy,

If I had that body, I’d never have my clothes on, too.

5. philliesblow - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Tracy’s comment reminds me of one of the all-time classic Sparky Anderson lines. Talking about Jose Canseco, Sparky said “He’s built like a Greek goddess”.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3095)