Aug 27, 2012, 6:44 PM EST
Both FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal and Heyman are reporting that the undisclosed team that claimed Hairston did so to block another team from acquiring him.
Heyman says the Dodgers weren’t the team that claimed Hairston. There was some immediate speculation that they could have put in the claim to block the Giants, who are ahead of them in the standings, from getting Hairston.
Hairston, 32, has been one of the game’s best part-time outfielders this year, hitting .272/.312/.512 with 14 homers and 45 RBI in 283 at-bats. The Mets probably could have gotten a decent prospect for him prior to July 31, but they weren’t interested in moving him then. Now they’ll get nothing ahead of him potentially leaving as a free agent this winter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)