Aug 27, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
Both FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal and Heyman are reporting that the undisclosed team that claimed Hairston did so to block another team from acquiring him.
Heyman says the Dodgers weren’t the team that claimed Hairston. There was some immediate speculation that they could have put in the claim to block the Giants, who are ahead of them in the standings, from getting Hairston.
Hairston, 32, has been one of the game’s best part-time outfielders this year, hitting .272/.312/.512 with 14 homers and 45 RBI in 283 at-bats. The Mets probably could have gotten a decent prospect for him prior to July 31, but they weren’t interested in moving him then. Now they’ll get nothing ahead of him potentially leaving as a free agent this winter.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)