Aug 27, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
Both FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal and Heyman are reporting that the undisclosed team that claimed Hairston did so to block another team from acquiring him.
Heyman says the Dodgers weren’t the team that claimed Hairston. There was some immediate speculation that they could have put in the claim to block the Giants, who are ahead of them in the standings, from getting Hairston.
Hairston, 32, has been one of the game’s best part-time outfielders this year, hitting .272/.312/.512 with 14 homers and 45 RBI in 283 at-bats. The Mets probably could have gotten a decent prospect for him prior to July 31, but they weren’t interested in moving him then. Now they’ll get nothing ahead of him potentially leaving as a free agent this winter.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?