Aug 27, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
Both FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal and Heyman are reporting that the undisclosed team that claimed Hairston did so to block another team from acquiring him.
Heyman says the Dodgers weren’t the team that claimed Hairston. There was some immediate speculation that they could have put in the claim to block the Giants, who are ahead of them in the standings, from getting Hairston.
Hairston, 32, has been one of the game’s best part-time outfielders this year, hitting .272/.312/.512 with 14 homers and 45 RBI in 283 at-bats. The Mets probably could have gotten a decent prospect for him prior to July 31, but they weren’t interested in moving him then. Now they’ll get nothing ahead of him potentially leaving as a free agent this winter.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)