Aug 28, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
The Yankees will be without Mark Teixeira for a little while due to a Grade 1 strain of his left calf, but it’s not all bad news on the injury front.
According to Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York, Alex Rodriguez took batting practice earlier today for the first time since fracturing his left hand last month. He also ran the bases and fielded grounders. The plan calls for him to go through a similar workout tomorrow.
“So far, so good,” Rodriguez said. “My legs are coming under me, and I see light at the end of the tunnel. My expectation is to come back at full strength and help this team win.”
Rodriguez still has some hurdles to cross, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said on “The Michael Kay Show” this afternoon that the veteran third baseman could begin a minor league rehab assignment this weekend if all goes well. The regular season ends for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Double-A Trenton on Monday, but both teams are headed for the postseason, so Rodriguez will have the chance to get additional at-bats. The hope is that he could be back before mid-September.
Rodriguez, who turned 37 last month, is hitting .276/.358/.449 with 15 home runs, 44 RBI, 11 stolen bases and an .806 OPS in 94 games played this season.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)