Aug 28, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Roy Oswalt has been a bust for Texas, posting a 5.94 ERA in 50 innings while being demoted to the bullpen, which isn’t exactly what the Rangers had in mind when they signed him for $5 million in May.
He’s still owed about $1 million of that money and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Oswalt recently passed through waivers without being claimed by any of the other 29 teams.
That means the Rangers are now free to trade him to any team, and with yesterday’s reports about the Dodgers looking to add some veteran rotation help Oswalt might be a fit back in the National League.
For as ugly as the 5.94 ERA looks, Oswalt does have a strong 47/10 K/BB ratio in 50 innings and his average fastball velocity of 91.4 miles per hour is identical to what it was in 2011.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (316)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)