Aug 28, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
After six weeks on the disabled list Jose Bautista rejoined the Blue Jays’ lineup Friday, only to aggravate his wrist injury one day later and be placed right back on the shelf.
And today the team announced that he needs surgery, which will knock Bautista out for the remainder of this season and carries a 3-4 month recovery timetable.
The good news? That gives him plenty of time to be ready for spring training, assuming he doesn’t experience any setbacks while rehabbing all winter.
Bautista had recovered from a brutal start to the season to go on a lengthy hot streak when he was shut down in mid-July and he finishes the season hitting .241 with 27 homers and an .886 OPS in 92 games.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)