Aug 28, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
After six weeks on the disabled list Jose Bautista rejoined the Blue Jays’ lineup Friday, only to aggravate his wrist injury one day later and be placed right back on the shelf.
And today the team announced that he needs surgery, which will knock Bautista out for the remainder of this season and carries a 3-4 month recovery timetable.
The good news? That gives him plenty of time to be ready for spring training, assuming he doesn’t experience any setbacks while rehabbing all winter.
Bautista had recovered from a brutal start to the season to go on a lengthy hot streak when he was shut down in mid-July and he finishes the season hitting .241 with 27 homers and an .886 OPS in 92 games.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)