Aug 28, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
After six weeks on the disabled list Jose Bautista rejoined the Blue Jays’ lineup Friday, only to aggravate his wrist injury one day later and be placed right back on the shelf.
And today the team announced that he needs surgery, which will knock Bautista out for the remainder of this season and carries a 3-4 month recovery timetable.
The good news? That gives him plenty of time to be ready for spring training, assuming he doesn’t experience any setbacks while rehabbing all winter.
Bautista had recovered from a brutal start to the season to go on a lengthy hot streak when he was shut down in mid-July and he finishes the season hitting .241 with 27 homers and an .886 OPS in 92 games.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)