Aug 28, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
After six weeks on the disabled list Jose Bautista rejoined the Blue Jays’ lineup Friday, only to aggravate his wrist injury one day later and be placed right back on the shelf.
And today the team announced that he needs surgery, which will knock Bautista out for the remainder of this season and carries a 3-4 month recovery timetable.
The good news? That gives him plenty of time to be ready for spring training, assuming he doesn’t experience any setbacks while rehabbing all winter.
Bautista had recovered from a brutal start to the season to go on a lengthy hot streak when he was shut down in mid-July and he finishes the season hitting .241 with 27 homers and an .886 OPS in 92 games.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)